D16y8 swap to B16A or Keep and TURBO???

Race2nguyenEM1

Hey you guys, i'm new to this site, i have a 2000 civic ex, it has a d16y8 motor on it and 140,000 miles on it. I want to either swap it out for a b16 or turbo mine. Which is better and cheaper in the long shot. I hear mixed replies on this, some kids tell me its cheaper to get a swap then rebuilding my car, some people say its cheaper to rebuild my car. Idk, how about the labor, will it be hard rebuilding or swapping, i have both friends that will help me on the swap or the build itself. I'm just trying to find whats best for my baby lol. If B16 isn't good, then whats another motor that can be used. So whats gonna be cheaper in the long shot, rebuild and turbo or motor swap?

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Stick with your D16, in the long rUn it will be cheaper. Right off the bat your looking anywhere from 1800-2200$ for a B16 swap and another 2500 to boost the B16. You can build you d series for like 3000$ and put more power with a boosted d series than a suck B16. And save some money.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
D-series is going to be cheaper

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol @ user name.

But anyway, building and boosting the singlecam is the way to go if you have the resources to properly do it

spoon egg

Teeth Doctor
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah duder, just rebuild and boost. it'll be a lot more fun at the moment. Plus, i think Ray at Fusionworks racing is still there in wichita and he tuned one of my old hatches perfectly, so give him a call about the tuning aspect.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
+6

again, i dont know why the noobs think the B16 is some marval. OP: B16's are junk, stick with your single jingle and boost away

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Single jingle!!!!!! Haha, it's kind of like having one nut. As long as it gets the job done.

slomotion

Banned
ls/v-tec turbo if ya got the change. i love mine and a 1.8 litre is just the propper balance imo. i have the b16 tranny and the gears are stupid short. 1 & 2 are useless and highway travel at 70 is 3850 for rpm's. retarded. oh sorry challenged, gotta be pc ya know

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I agree with the above. I also have a 2000 ex and want some power but don't wanna spend too much money. d16y8's can handle a good 200-220 hp on a good tune and then build it from there. singles have alot of untapped potential IMO.

Matt316

also nguyen try to avoid questions like this on wichitaracing everyone talk smack on there.... but i only go on there to buy/sell/trade parts.