d16y8 to b18c swap

williammw20

Looking into doing a swap d16y8 to b18c on a 00 civic ex 1.6. Is there any fab work required or will everything line up? I'm clueless never did a swap before.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I tweaked your title and post so your title is short & to the point and your post is more clear.

I suggest you do some research because its been done and documented on this forum alone, let alone others. Engine swaps are not something to be done without extensive research unless youre a well experienced mechanic, not just a parts swapper. Make sure to compile a build list with all the needed parts. Once you have a solid knowledge base then post the questions you havent yet figured out.

jnewman0910

Respected
My exact question as well I have a 97 same engine and I'm looking to do the same also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
From my understanding a b series engine will drop right in but you have to get a hybrid s**t linkage. Also, you have to repin some of the connectors. Just like Hex said, google it and you will find your answer.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
There's no hybrid linkage, just use the ones from an Integra.
So the kit they sell you is my from an Integra, if so what year? If that's the case I can go to a junkyard when I am doing my swap instead of buying it from a company. Does the A/C bracket come from a desol or something else?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Crv ac bracket or oem si bracket. Everything will bolt in since the 99-00 civic si has a b series, just need to modify wiring and use an em1 shift linkage

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15yrs later and people are still wondering how to swap a 15 yr old motor ( at least) into a 15 yr old chassis.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Most of the DIY I have read so far, say to buy the shift linkage at hasport or want your d series a/c compressor to work on your b series buy the bracket at some other aftermarket store. I haven't seen one yet that says you can take it from this model yr Honda or Acura but then again I just started researching it so I may find it later on. Also, my emphasis is to get good gas mileage but I want to have a better motor than my D16Y8 (I heard it's not that reliable) so it makes it that more difficult since most swaps are done for performance only.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
What makes it not reliable?
I read in the forums that a B-series engine is more reliable than a D-series (overall a stronger motor). The forums state they have overheating problems but then again they probably didn't upgrade their cooling system. Also, I know that everything I read shouldn't be taken to heart but that's my point. People will still have questions years from now because they are trying to figure out which information is correct or not. My problem that I run into at times is the post are so old that the links don't work anymore, the pictures are missing, and the companies they suggested to use is no longer in business. Right now I am trying to figure out if I can fit a Integra A/C condenser (bigger condenser means better cabin cooler temperature) into my civic when I do the swap and how much the lines would be.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
MC360 already said which bracket to use.

The d series is not any less reliable when properly maintained.

You can use the aftermarket linkage, or the oem Integra linkage. Using the word hybrid doesn't make sense, it isn't two linkages put together. It's just the linkage from an Integra or aftermarket (non OEM linkage).

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
MC360 already said which bracket to use.

The d series is not any less reliable when properly maintained.

You can use the aftermarket linkage, or the oem Integra linkage. Using the word hybrid doesn't make sense, it isn't two linkages put together. It's just the linkage from an Integra or aftermarket (non OEM linkage).
MC360 told me what bracket to use for the A/C compressor not the condenser. I also want to install the Integra A/C condenser because it's bigger than the 6gen civic. To me it looks like there is room to tuck it in under the core support but not really sure yet.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I read in the forums that a B-series engine is more reliable than a D-series (overall a stronger motor). The forums state they have overheating problems but then again they probably didn't upgrade their cooling system.
The cooling systems don't really differ from a B and D series motor anyway.
Honda ran that family of D series motor from 1988 thru 2000 and put variants of them in millions of cars, I would not call that unreliable.
I don't think it failed because of the car, more like the driver more than likely beating the hell out of it and not maintaining it.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You could probably put a full length condenser in and tuck it under the core support but it will require notching the support to clear the ac line connections or getting a different condenser setup with inlet/outlet in different spots. I'm no engineer but if you install a larger condenser I would think you need a larger compressor also.

Use crv bracket if you want to keep d series compressor and si bracket if you want a b series compressor.

Only issue I know of about d series is the d16y8 spinning rod bearings when people run them low on oil and beat on them, I've owned two and beat on them and have not spun a bearing yet