d16y8 trans questions

97civicMan

Knucklehead h8r
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just go to your local dealer and get the tranny fluid. Don't use motor oil.....it doesn't have the correct weight properties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just go to your local dealer and get the tranny fluid. Don't use motor oil.....it doesn't have the correct weight properties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thats funny because ive been running mobile 1 and penzzoil synchromesh in all of my manual transmissions for YEARS. zero problems.

97civicMan

Knucklehead h8r
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm just saying if the manufacture suggest a certain fluid and it doesn't cost no more than a couple dollars why not use it. They recommend it for a reason. And if ur not a believer just ask my sister and her hyundai!!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm just saying if the manufacture suggest a certain fluid and it doesn't cost no more than a couple dollars why not use it. They recommend it for a reason. And if ur not a believer just ask my sister and her Hyundai!!!

---
she drives a Hyundai. that's problem number one lol. no in all seriousness. I used to work for Nissan. yes they have a "recommended trans oil" to use but that is simply to make them more money just like any other company. as long as your running the correct viscosity you will be fine.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
10w30 or 40 work just fine if you don't want to pay dealer price

97civicMan

Knucklehead h8r
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just don't get it! Why not pay a couple dollars more and use what comes in it in the first place.......oh I know so u can buy bolt on parts that will have NOTHING to do with the longevity of ur motor or tranny. I mean seriously ur talking a couple dollars more.

---

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just don't get it! Why not pay a couple dollars more and use what comes in it in the first place.......oh I know so u can buy bolt on parts that will have NOTHING to do with the longevity of ur motor or tranny. I mean seriously ur talking a couple dollars more.

---
Just because it came in the vehicle doesn't mean it's the best. I've found several other products that perform much better then factory

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
There are many more additives in Honda MTF than motor oil. Have you smelled that s**t? It's got all kinds of stuff in there.

K-N-2-EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oil is oil...the companies just put different "stuff" in them to make them different yes no oil is the same blah blah blah, one stinks one looks like maple syrup and i would use it on my pancakes blah blah blah...but dude saying use the Factory stuff he has a point...not only does it void any possible warranty if you bought a new vehichle but its also only a couple bucks more!! its all the same s**t different company with a different label...now there is a clear difference between Tranny fluid and motor oil...other wise they wouldnt have one or the other so motor oil is the "cheap and unhealthy way"

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what warranty? by the time you actually need to flush your trans fluid your car should be well out of warranty.

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There's a big difference in motor oil and trans oil.
Motors pump their oil and don't need the anti-foaming properties
of an oil like a transmission does, just like a lawn mower, the trans
slings the oil and regular motor oils foam up, giving a lot less lubrication.
Whatever you get, make sure it's for a transmission and not an engine.
Usually that's a straight wt oil, non detergent.:cool: