D16y8 Turbo Build Questions.

Hey everyone im fairly new here and i just got a civic ef hatch with a 98 d16y8 swap. Im a 19 year old kid making 9$ an hour with weekly paychecks of 250-300$ lol so im not exactly full of money... anywho im curious because i really want to turbo my D16 and would like to know what im going to need and estimates on how much items will cost. Now im not new to turbo's i know my crap ive just never turbo'ed a honda before...:???: to my knowledge they can be very finicky. i want to piece together a quality turbo kit of various brands and not buy some cheapass ebay kit. Please if anyone could give me a list of the parts i'll need to have a reliable turbo d16 that would be greaty appreciated. Thanks. P.s im looking for a street/reliable car... not a drag car. i wont exceed 10lbs of boost I just want something cool that i can like and others as well. Thanks

Some things that are big I need the answers to are as follows...
How should the motor be built up quality but affordable?
what size Wastegate should i use?
What size injectors?
What size turbo and make should i use?
Best Style header?
Ammount of Boost?
Fuel pump?

Basicaly anything thats complicating in a turbo build. Let me know all that you know :D thanks.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you dont know the first thing about boosting, a turbo setup will not be good for you.
alot involved in a turbo setup, more then just buying parts.

go to the book store, and pick up the book Maximum Boost by Coorky Bell

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I didn't know one damn thing about boosting. My good friend said one day when we were going to swap out my motor, "Hey, lets do a turbo D setup!" I told him that I didn't know s**t but he said that it wasn't too complicated and that he would show me what I needed to know. I went ahead and did it, with him helping me of course and it worked out well. I learned about boosting while actually doing it. :D Not to mention learning on CC as well.

As for all your questions........ There's different answers for all of them. What I did is found a good priced complete junkyard turbo and I just went from there. That's seems like the way you should go if you don't have much money. ;)

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, alot of people on here will tell you this and that, don't do this, buy that..... all that s**t. The funny thing is that the majority of them have never done a turbo build themselves. :lol: Everyone on here would talk s**t about my shitty tune (afc hack) and would say that they are s**t and wouldn't last. I'm here 4yrs later with the same tune running strong as hell. Everyone is going to tell you what THEY would do or what THEY would buy and if you don't listen to what they say then you are stupid.

Now yeah, imo around 8psi is the way to go if you want to stay reliable. You can go upto 12psi+ with a good tune on a stock D and maybe stay reliable but how long will it last? :lol:

:suprise: I greatly appreciate the responses i dont know im debating on All motor or turboing it.... turbos are much more fun but all motor is much more reliable lol... like i said im 19 i cant afford to blow the motor. hmmm decisions decisions....i think im gonna focus on the all motor aspect than maybe in the future ill pull the block build the internals than turbo the b***h lol. ill start out with some parts.... skunk2 intake manifold, bigger throttle body, mishimoto radiator, better exhaust system. hmmm anyone know what is the best choice in size for the skunk2 throttle body? im talking about for a d16 non turbo running bolt ons. thanks guys.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Don't do an all motor d series. You'd be better off swaping in a DOHC motor and leaving it all motor.

Unuzual Kustum

4DR Sleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey everyone im fairly new here and i just got a civic ef hatch with a 98 d16y8 swap. Im a 19 year old kid making 9$ an hour with weekly paychecks of 250-300$ lol so im not exactly full of money... anywho im curious because i really want to turbo my D16 and would like to know what im going to need and estimates on how much items will cost. Now im not new to turbo's i know my crap ive just never turbo'ed a honda before...:???: to my knowledge they can be very finicky. i want to piece together a quality turbo kit of various brands and not buy some cheapass ebay kit. Please if anyone could give me a list of the parts i'll need to have a reliable turbo d16 that would be greaty appreciated. Thanks. P.s im looking for a street/reliable car... not a drag car. i wont exceed 10lbs of boost I just want something cool that i can like and others as well. Thanks

Some things that are big I need the answers to are as follows...
How should the motor be built up quality but affordable?
what size Wastegate should i use?
What size injectors?
What size turbo and make should i use?
Best Style header?
Ammount of Boost?
Fuel pump?

Basicaly anything thats complicating in a turbo build. Let me know all that you know :D thanks.

Make sure the car has NO major problems
38mm wastegate
DSM 450cc injectors with resistor box and wires/plugs
T3/T4 around .50 or .57trim
HF Manifold (cheap and effective)
nothing UNTUNED over 5psi but TUNED probably 10
stock fuel pump until you can get a walboro 255

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:suprise: I greatly appreciate the responses i dont know im debating on All motor or turboing it.... turbos are much more fun but all motor is much more reliable lol... like i said im 19 i cant afford to blow the motor. hmmm decisions decisions....i think im gonna focus on the all motor aspect than maybe in the future ill pull the block build the internals than turbo the b***h lol. ill start out with some parts.... skunk2 intake manifold, bigger throttle body, mishimoto radiator, better exhaust system. hmmm anyone know what is the best choice in size for the skunk2 throttle body? im talking about for a d16 non turbo running bolt ons. thanks guys.

I had a skunk2 intake manifold on my y8 and ran it with a gsr throttle body. If you are looking for an upgrade for a somewhat cheap price I'd try to find a used b series throttle body instead of spending the money on the skunk2. With the skunk2 throttle body, if you do go with that, you will need to block off the coolant to it. I'm pretty sure that they are racing throttle bodies so there are no coolant fittings on it

CBURKE

"That's not my LEG"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You do need to know that with the Y8 you can have oil problems. They are known for there bad oil pumps and failing under boost.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You do need to know that with the Y8 you can have oil problems. They are known for there bad oil pumps and failing under boost.
known for bad oil pumps, that's a crock of crap, in 6 years and between 2 dealership (both Honda), i have never seen a oil pump sold, or have ever had a customer ask for one, if they were known for this there would even perhaps be a service bulliten, and oil probems in general is not true, about the only thing that ever leaks on a y8 or a civic for that matter is either the cam seal or the oil pan gasket.

CBURKE

"That's not my LEG"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I said "under boost" I don't mean in general. Yeah as an N/A there fine. And why in the hell would you buy a NEW anything from the rip off ass dealer?

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah if you get boost happy and try to run insane boost on a mild build. If built right oiling and failing under boost are of no issue.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I said "under boost" I don't mean in general. Yeah as an N/A there fine. And why in the hell would you buy a NEW anything from the rip off ass dealer?
quality, that's why!

civicridin

5+ Year Member
oil problems are resolved by TODA oil pumps. such a BS response to not building a y8 lol.

also, i have a gude stg 1 turbo cam if your lookin. 200$obo shipped with AEM adjustable cam gear

CBURKE

"That's not my LEG"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Last time I checked TODA does not make anything for D motor, and looking on there website there is nothing for the D series at all.

You can do your research and see that there is a failure problem with the y8 oil pump and boost, so it was not a BS response. It happend to me.....................

And Tom, I meant I can go to Honda online shops and there way cheaper then the dealer.

t_mac

5+ Year Member
this thread is relevant to my interests.

i got a d16y8... and a guy wants to sell me a mint turbo off his 97 talon... for 150 should i do it? what else would i need

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Last time I checked TODA does not make anything for D motor, and looking on there website there is nothing for the D series at all.

You can do your research and see that there is a failure problem with the y8 oil pump and boost, so it was not a BS response. It happend to me.....................

And Tom, I meant I can go to Honda online shops and there way cheaper then the dealer.
I've never had a problem with the y8 oil pump nor anybody I know on boost.

this thread is relevant to my interests.
i got a d16y8... and a guy wants to sell me a mint turbo off his 97 talon... for 150 should i do it? what else would i need
You will need a turbo mani the will fit your motor and the turbo bolt pattern, intercooler and intercooler piping. For $150 I say go for it. I also recommend converting to obd1 ecu for tuning perpouses. Cus you will need to get tuned.