d16y8 turbo in need of help.

msafford

this is my first tuner car and turbo build. I've have done research and confused on a couple subjects. The car is a 2000 Honda civic ex, with the d16y8. my power goal is 240 whp. i already have the turbo kit picked out. and here is the details of my build.
YCP Pistons with eagle rods, king rod and bearing set, stock crank shaft.
oem head gasket, arp head studs, stock valve train, stock cam shaft
stock intake, stock throttle body, stock injectors.
• T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, with Oil Kit• Stainless Steel manifold• 38mm 8 PSI Wastegate with Dump Tube• 2.5" down pipe• BOV + flange pipe• Aluminum Intercooler, 29x9x3 with mounting brackets• 10-pcs 2.5" Aluminum Piping kit with necessary Silicon hoses and T-Clamps• 12" Slim Fan• 16 Row of Aluminum Oil Cooler• Turbo Oil line kit with Return Flange and Oil Pan Plug• Fuel Regulator• Manual Boost Controller• Turbo Timer• Radiator Reservoir Tanks• High Performance Aluminum Radiator, with Silicon Radiator Hoses• Boost & Water Temp Gauges.
that's everything. now let me know if im missing something? can i use my stock intake/ throttle body? are stock injectors capable? will i be able to keep my a/c? and how can i tune this car with obd2? if i need to convert to obd1, how do i go about doing this?. with my 240 whp goal, preferable runing under 8psi of boost is my motor going to rip my 5-speed tranny apart?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
this is my first tuner car and turbo build. I've have done research and confused on a couple subjects. The car is a 2000 Honda civic ex, with the d16y8. my power goal is 240 whp. i already have the turbo kit picked out. and here is the details of my build.
YCP Pistons with eagle rods, king rod and bearing set, stock crank shaft.
oem head gasket, arp head studs, stock valve train, stock cam shaft
stock intake, stock throttle body, stock injectors.
• T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, with Oil Kit• Stainless Steel manifold• 38mm 8 PSI Wastegate with Dump Tube• 2.5" down pipe• BOV + flange pipe• Aluminum Intercooler, 29x9x3 with mounting brackets• 10-pcs 2.5" Aluminum Piping kit with necessary Silicon hoses and T-Clamps• 12" Slim Fan• 16 Row of Aluminum Oil Cooler• Turbo Oil line kit with Return Flange and Oil Pan Plug• Fuel Regulator• Manual Boost Controller• Turbo Timer• Radiator Reservoir Tanks• High Performance Aluminum Radiator, with Silicon Radiator Hoses• Boost & Water Temp Gauges.
that's everything. now let me know if im missing something? can i use my stock intake/ throttle body? are stock injectors capable? will i be able to keep my a/c? and how can i tune this car with obd2? if i need to convert to obd1, how do i go about doing this?. with my 240 whp goal, preferable runing under 8psi of boost is my motor going to rip my 5-speed tranny apart?
Seems like a full kit

The manifold type and where it places the turbo will determine if you can keep a/c, also the amount of room you have for your downpipe

No, stock injectors wont handle that and probably not the pump either

No tuning with OBD2

You need a conversion harness and a chipped OBD1 ecu, then find a good tuner

You'll want a better clutch, the trans itself should be fine if it is in good shape currently.

msafford

this is my daily driver so converting to obd1 ecu isn't going to make it unable to be inspected is it? and how would i find out how big of injectors ill need to get? and with gas prices so high i really don't wanna lose that much mpg.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
With all that being said, buy another car to play with. Not worth the worry of not being able to go where you need to just to look cool.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Blue top injectors. If you are worried about emissions and stuff then don't do it.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
this is my daily driver so converting to obd1 ecu isn't going to make it unable to be inspected is it? and how would i find out how big of injectors ill need to get? and with gas prices so high i really don't wanna lose that much mpg.
i

well if you need to be smogged then you are not going to pass. or you need to put everything back to stock every time you go get smogged.
if you are going to complain about gas prices, putting a turbo will not give you better fuel economy. first you need to use better than regular unleaded, then going for 240hp it is going to drink.
you would need atleast 450cc injectors.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
i

well if you need to be smogged then you are not going to pass. or you need to put everything back to stock every time you go get smogged.
if you are going to complain about gas prices, putting a turbo will not give you better fuel economy. first you need to use better than regular unleaded, then going for 240hp it is going to drink.
you would need atleast 450cc injectors.
That isn't always true, most well tuned forced induction setups actually gain MPG if you stay out of the throttle.

msafford

i live in new York so i think ill pass emissions, they make a in-line fuel pump correct? stock fuel rail will be ok? and how much will tuning cost? and if someone can tell me if they're is a good tuning shop in the capital region of new York that would be great. and i appreciate the help.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
That isn't always true, most well tuned forced induction setups actually gain MPG if you stay out of the throttle.
now tell me how many people that spend all that cash on a FI setup, tuning etc.... will pussy the throttle from a red light?:roll:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
+1, I went up 3-4mpg on the highway, very minimal / the sameish city driving, but that's because I'm not always easy on the throttle :lol:

now tell me how many people that spend all that cash on a FI setup, tuning etc.... will pussy the throttle from a red light?:roll:
I do 90% of the time. I don't need to floor it everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I had fun with it for sure, but I wasn't driving like an a*****e. The only time I really floored it was the red light near the tunnel by my house, and the one time some a*****e in a Malibu called my car a slow piece of s**t and said he could beat me with his eyes closed. (His eyes were open, he ended up getting s**t on, and switched lanes behind me for the next light so he didn't have to be next to me again :lol:)

i live in new York so i think ill pass emissions, they make a in-line fuel pump correct? stock fuel rail will be ok? and how much will tuning cost? and if someone can tell me if they're is a good tuning shop in the capital region of new York that would be great. and i appreciate the help.
If you step down from OBDII-OBDI (which unless you use a crappy piggyback system or spend the big bucks on AEM you're going to have to), you WON'T pass NYS inspection due to emissions. You can't have an OBDI computer in an OBDII car, you'll just fail. NYS has a 25-year emissions exempt law, but we're nowhere near that.

I'm in that boat now currently. My Civic hasn't been inspected since 2010, can't pass it here in NY because of that.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You guys think that's bad? Try living in California. NOTHING passes smog, unless it's bone stock (essentially). It's a pain in the ass. I sold my turbo integra for this exact reason. Now, if the car were my toy, it wouldn't matter...

msafford

alright, what if i use AEM's F/IC 6 universal fuel/injection system, and still keep the cat? will it still have problems with emissions? is there anyway of have a legal turbo system?

OneFastGSR

Registered VIP

Hehehe, When i'm around people in my integra I drive slow so I don't look like a douche, But when noones around, Or i'm getting on the freeway, Or in the backroads. You better bet I'll be spinnin wheels all day like a douchebag. Hahaha, I gotta get that thing running again. When I bought my civic I had left my teg to rust in the yard. Lol.

OneFastGSR

Registered VIP
To OP, You're going to need good tuning software, I recommend hondata s300, $500, Grab a walbro 255 fuel pump $80, RC 550 injectors or so, Probably around $250 or buy some used ones from someone for about $125 or $150. You can use a OBD2 to OBD1 harness which is like $70 than hook up the hondata S300 in a obd1 P28 ecu and bam. Also from what you listed looks like a ebay kit and stainless steel manifold. Which means be prepared to continue buying manifolds or getting it welded where it cracks over and over.

In my opinion, If you want to be boosted, plan on removing the turbo kit etc to pass emissions than reinstall it all.

Also on a side note, I think I got better gas mileage in my boosted teg than my stock d15 civic even when driving the teg pretty hard. Only because after using the teg as a daily I feel like the d15 is running on 1 cylinder so I have to floor it everywhere just to keep up a normal pace. Lol

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I got 32mpg in town in my boosted GSR, that was with a tiny Ko3 turbo that spun at idle.

Why don't you get it smogged, then boost it?

OneFastGSR

Registered VIP
32 mph is good, I was putting $20 in the tank everywhere I went. Lol. Felt like you could watch the gas gauge go down.

msafford

it wasnt ebay it was from andys auto sports, cx racing, and i cant get it inspected with a obd1 ecu.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
alright, what if i use AEM's F/IC 6 universal fuel/injection system, and still keep the cat? will it still have problems with emissions? is there anyway of have a legal turbo system?
I think so. Going on this thread you should be OK, but I'd verify with AEM first...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/159336-Anybody-in-New-York-(or-Cali)-Running-AEM-EMS

Your other option is to step down to ODBI, then come inspection time pull the wastegate spring, put the o2 sensors back in if you take them out, put the ODBII ECU back in, and do not attempt to boost every year. I know, the options are pretty s***ty.

My option: I'm trying to find a < '95 car so I can swap my turbo stuff over and never need to pass emissions ;)

msafford

alright im going to see if aem can tune it so it is emissions legal. if not i can just pull the waste gate spring and not run any boost and pass emmisions that way?