D16Y8 Turbo Parts List

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So, I may be turbocharging sooner than I expected. I had planned on getting everything ready and piecing together a setup by this summer, but I got presented with an amazing opportunity. Turns out my good friend is a direct relative of the head of Edelbrock... I never thought of the connection with the last name :shock:. So I may be getting their Victor X turbo kit as well as a fuel pump and fuel rail all for free. I know, I'm crazy lucky.

As such, I've been doing quite a bit of research, and I think I've come up with a list of parts I'm going to need right away (1st priority) and parts I'm going to need as soon as I get the cash for them (2nd priority).

The purpose of this thread is to make sure that I'm on the right track (things are in the right categories, I'm not missing anything, and I don't have anything completely unnecessary), and to also get recommendations for what brands and specific parts for each item.

To begin, I am planning on making around 220-240HP (200TQ) with the initial build. Possibly a little less, depending on how things work out. Later I will want to do some engine building and raise it to 300-350HP (225-275TQ) . Both the horsepower and torque measurements are rough, but I need to pay attention to both. This list represents what I want to get for the original 220-240HP (200TQ) build.

For EJ8 D16Y8:

From Edelbrock:
Turbo
Wastegate
Manifold
Downpipe
Dump Tube
Air Filter
Charge Piping
Intercooler
Blow-Off Valve
Vacuum Hoses
Oil Lines
Fuel Pump

Need (1st Priority):
Exhaust
Catch Can
Engine Management*
Injectors
Gauges
-Oil Pressure
-Boost Pressure
-Air/Fuel Ratio
Cold Heat Range Spark Plugs
Clutch
ARP Headstuds
Oil
Fuel
Turbo Timer

Need (2nd Priority):
Boost Controller
Radiator/Fans
Gauges
-Oil Temp
-Water Temp
-EGT
-Fuel Pressure
Oil Cooler
-Thermostatic Oil Bypass
Shift Linkage Bushings
Half Shafts
Brakes**
Boost Timer
Differential

Maintenance:
Compression Test
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Head Gasket

*I know that this is overly simplistic, but I haven't decided what route of engine management I'm going to use yet, mainly from lack of research in that area.
**Brake upgrades would be a good idea before even starting, but as it's not directly related to turbocharging, I put it in the second category.

Specifics:

Edelbrock Parts:

Turbo:
Garrett GT28RS Turbo

Wastegate:
Internal wastgate on the Garrett GT28RS Turbo. Couldn't find much info on it... it might be a 10 PSI spring. If anyone has more info, let me know.

Manifold:
Performer X Intake Manifold #4756

Intercooler:
Edelbrock Intercooler #15009
"Bar & plate intercooler with TIG welded cast aluminum end tanks"

BOV:
TiAL blow-off valve

Fuel Pump:
Edelbrock 255 liter/hr, Forced Induction (60+ PSI), In-Tank Fuel Pump

Need (1st Priority):

Exhaust
Probably going to do 2.5" custom piping mated to Apex'i WS2 Axle-Back Exhaust

Catch Can
eBay catch can

Engine Management
Still not sure.

Injectors
RC SH4-0750H

Spark Plugs
NGK ZFR7F-11

Clutch
XTD Stage 4 Clutch. I know it's cheap, but looking around not many people seem to have problems with the stage 4. I may change my mind still.

Turbo Timer
eBay Turbo Timer
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-parts-feedback-reviews/265495-cheap-ebay-turbo-timer.html

I don't have time right now, but I'll continue to update this thread with more info. I still have to write about what brands and specific parts I'm thinking for some of it. So, any comments?

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
prolly going to need rods and rod bolts and if your doing that may as well get some forged pistons as well

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yea you left out everything needed to reassemble the motor after you install the headstuds you listed. i.e. timing belt, head gasket, water pump, etc etc. i agree with hardcore too, if you are going to take the motor apart you might as well reinforce the internals with more than just headstuds. rods, pistons, rod bolts, bearings, rings, and a cylinder hone would definitely be on my list ESPECIALLY for the torque numbers you are aiming for

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You guys think it's really necessary to get rods, pistons, etc. for only 200TQ? If so, I may have to lower the initial number I was going for. The whole point was to start initially without really building up the engine, and then later as I got the cash, I would build the engine and up the boost.

You're right though, I should probably do all the basic engine maintenance, as I'm already installing the head studs.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You do not need a rod/piston combo if you are only shooting for 200 on a d16.

Definitely get ARP head studs and you should be okay.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You do not need a rod/piston combo if you are only shooting for 200 on a d16.

Definitely get ARP head studs and you should be okay.
Yeah, see, that's what I was thinking... any other opinions on the matter?

I'll definitely upgrade the engine internals down the road, but right now it's gonna take me a while to get the cash for what's already on the list. Gotta start looking into what brands and such and how much the bill's gonna be.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
exactly.. goodluck with your build
Thanks =). I have a lot more research to do, and depending on the price tag, I'm shooting for December, but we'll see.

Anyone else have input on anything in the thread? I'm gonna start getting up more info on it.

kevywevy

5+ Year Member
well i personally think your a fag for boosting a ghetto as ricer ball civic. jk nick. you better wait until december to build this so chris and I can do all the work! haha

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well heres the deal, if your wanting to turn up the boost later you may as well do it all now. otherwise when you want more boost your going to have to tear it all apart again. just my opinion.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well heres the deal, if your wanting to turn up the boost later you may as well do it all now. otherwise when you want more boost your going to have to tear it all apart again. just my opinion.
Well, I don't have the cash now, I don't know if I'm gonna be able to sit around doing nothing with a turbo kit for a year. It shouldn't be that bad... considering I may have to temporarily pull the turbo for emissions eventually anyway.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If it's a little high for stock internals, maybe 180TQ? What's everyone else thinking?
i would start judging by hp .... and not tq...... shoot for around 220whp and thats a good limit for stock rods and pistons..... make sure to get arp headstuds tho.... and a new oem hg....

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would start judging by hp .... and not tq...... shoot for around 220whp and thats a good limit for stock rods and pistons..... make sure to get arp headstuds tho.... and a new oem hg....
Why judge by HP? And yeah, I have those on there.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
because out of all the years ive been researching ive known things to be rated by HP :what:

except for clutches lol
Exactly. When you plan on boosting, you want to have a goal by Horsepower, not PSI or torque..

I would definitely suggest a gt28 but damn are they expensive.. ive seen used ones going for 700.. have you priced any? are you expecting to get a new one?

Also, search online for a "used kit" that someone bought off of a website for 3000 and are now selling it for 1300.. Joel, (JDMJNKY) has a greddy kit for around 1300 with a 15g that would be great for your application and goals (if your not building the motor)

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would definitely suggest a gt28 but damn are they expensive.. ive seen used ones going for 700.. have you priced any? are you expecting to get a new one?

Also, search online for a "used kit" that someone bought off of a website for 3000 and are now selling it for 1300.. Joel, (JDMJNKY) has a greddy kit for around 1300 with a 15g that would be great for your application and goals (if your not building the motor)
Thanks for the info, but as I said in the beginning of the post I'm getting a free Edelbrock kit with some connections. So I'll use whatever they wanna give me...

What would you suggest as far as engine management? I know only the very basics.