D16Y8 Turbo Setup

lilROOKZ

EJh8ONIT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok this is going to be my first boost build/car.
gonna boost my DD d16y8 ~10k on the motor. im not exactly positive on everything i need to get. i want a good setup and want to still run off pump gas , but im not looking to dump all my $$ into this. not looking to break any records just want a good boost setup that will still put me in my seat :D
so i need help. i need a list of what to get plz help me out.
things like injectors and size?
whats a good header?
piping?
ARP head studs? etc....

Ed[K*]

GO! GO! GADGET VTEC!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^typical noob advice.

OP, +1 for you for keeping the d series. i personally would build up the engine first and foremost. like cam (not cams lol), cam gear, forged 4032 alloy pistons, rods, then titanium retainers, forged valves..ugh i could go on and on. but the first thing you should ask yourself is 'what is my power goal?' then some good advice can start coming. as far as headers for a turbo set up, id go with full race t3 mani (ram horn). youd want the wastegate to be positioned in the center so that way the exhaust gases from all cylinders go through it. (experts chime in if im wrong here in any way)

some excellent resources:http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

GLWB buddy...save the sohc!

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes do a bit more research. I only say this because you can't use a header for a turbo set up. Are you looking to do a cheap pieced together build?

lilROOKZ

EJh8ONIT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ed[K*];3114346 said:
^typical noob advice.

OP, +1 for you for keeping the d series. i personally would build up the engine first and foremost. like cam (not cams lol), cam gear, forged 4032 alloy pistons, rods, then titanium retainers, forged valves..ugh i could go on and on. but the first thing you should ask yourself is 'what is my power goal?' then some good advice can start coming. as far as headers for a turbo set up, id go with full race t3 mani (ram horn). youd want the wastegate to be positioned in the center so that way the exhaust gases from all cylinders go through it. (experts chime in if im wrong here in any way)

thanks! im not really sure on what kind of power i want to get out of this. as of right now i just want to do slight mods. not really looking to do a whole lot of internals. just want something nice, safe, clean, and quicker. was thinking of running 8-10psi nothing too major.
yes i love the SingleCammerSlammer lol

Yes do a bit more research. I only say this because you can't use a header for a turbo set up. Are you looking to do a cheap pieced together build?
no i dont want cheap parts, im just not looking to dropping all my cash in this right now.

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks! im not really sure on what kind of power i want to get out of this. as of right now i just want to do slight mods. not really looking to do a whole lot of internals. just want something nice, safe, clean, and quicker. was thinking of running 8-10psi nothing too major.
yes i love the SingleCammerSlammer lol

no i dont want cheap parts, im just not looking to dropping all my cash in this right now.
he didnt mean cheap parts as in quality.you can piece together a kit for cheap but still have good quality parts

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you have any questions that cant be answered by people here, let me know. I kinda have a thing for turbo single cams

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
Ed[K*];3114346 said:
^typical noob advice.

To a typical noob question. s**t has been done TO DEATH, literally 3 mins of research and you can find dozens of cheap d series builds.

To the OP

cast mani from go-autoworks
mitsubishi adapter cause that mani is T3/T4
14b, or go for a 16g if you want to spend the money
dsm 450s
used intercooler+piping or ebay

In a best case scenario thats around $400-500 if you roll with just the 14b. Plus the tune, which if you have a chipped ecu I would just find a good tuner and have him burn you a chip cause more than likely they have tuned one of these setups already. This isnt including a pump or BOV or an extra pan and whatever but you can get the idea.

jason soto

this is my set up

d 16z6 block d16y8 vtec head head is almost fully build vtec kick really hard almost like a dohc,wiseco pistons eagle rods bore is 20 over 550cc rc injectors 70mm throtle walbro 255 hondata s300 competition clutch and presure plat stage 3 7lb fidanza fly wheel t3/t4 turbo rfl bov supra front mount intercooler 3 inch exhoust from turbo all the way back