D16y8 turbo vs B18c swap!!!!!!

JDMth3oryTC3

5+ Year Member
I need help deciding on the heart transplant. What should I go with..Turbo my d16y8 or swap it our for a b18(ima try and get a c5).

can you guy give me you opinion or experience relating to my life a and situation.;)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Obviously the B-Series has more potential and yield more power if the same mods are done to it as the y8. And besides, a C5 swap should be just as fast, if not faster than a boosted y8 @ 6-8psi.

madhopz88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
c5 is a pretty money engine...however u can go faster with a d16 turbo for less

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Just find you a cheap gsr and turbo it.

wiggi

sold his civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you get the y8 turbo, you'll want more power down the road.

Get the B18c, then turbo it down the road. I love mine

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
im kind of in the same boat, and i really wanna just throw a turbo on my D

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's a huge difference in money between a D16Y8 turbo kit and B18C5.

If your D is still in good shape, compression, etc..., turbo it
The Edelbrock kit @ $3300.00 is less than a B18C5. And it's at the expensive end of turbo kits

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the answer is simple...

if money is not a worry then B

if money is tight then D

providing the d is in good condition..

JDMth3oryTC3

5+ Year Member
My y8 is in good condition and its a 2000 model and i only have 51000 miles on it. but i really want that B18c5 motor yet i wanna kick ass with my y8 and laugh at DOHC cars if and when i beat them(hence the word "If"). if any thing i will go with B18c5, then turbo that.....MUHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You'd be way happier and have more money in your pocket with just a simple gsr and you can save the extra couple of thousands to spend on a house or something.

Koopa

5+ Year Member
No the question to ask yourself is. Do you want to go F/I or stay N/A. If i was you and had your motor i would put together a custom kit and have fun. But really having people you dont know decide what you want to do with no info on what you know about turbo or na in that matter is stupid. Not trying to rag on you but i mean we can only give you our opinions. Its your money just dont rush in it, take your time.

Koopa

5+ Year Member
Just know a turbo d on stock guts can hold about 250whp on a good tune before you build up the insides. Theres alot of work in doing turbo its no just putting everything together and drive it like you stole it. Theres maintance and thing you gotta check and watch out for in a daily bases. If i was you i would buy corky bell maximum boost book the best book in finding info on turbos. The book is kinda old skool but its still does the job. Sorry for the rant its just that i love talking about turbos.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You'd be way happier and have more money in your pocket with just a simple gsr and you can save the extra couple of thousands to spend on a house or something.

yup..

i would NOT buy a c5 and turbo it..

ST8JDM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i was there at one had all the tubo stuff and every thing ...them bamB b18c came accross and am hella happy for now

it was just a bolt on swap if iwould boosted it was going to be Put it together , tune it , hope for the best and blow it up