D16y8 upgrade

RRMMZAR

Ej8
Ok, So I have a D16y8 I wana upgrade for a turbo setup.. Anybody have some answers for me? Around how much would and upgrade take out my pocket? As far as internals go..rods pistons bearings cams etc. .....I'm tryna figure out what would be less expensive between that upgrade or just a b16b type-R changeover I already did some research and the changeover will cost me roughly around 5,000 or more. If anybody has done A d16y8 upgrade I'd appreciate some feedback

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, So I have a D16y8 I wana upgrade for a turbo setup.. Anybody have some answers for me? Around how much would and upgrade take out my pocket? As far as internals go..rods pistons bearings cams etc. .....I'm tryna figure out what would be less expensive between that upgrade or just a b16b type-R changeover I already did some research and the changeover will cost me roughly around 5,000 or more. If anybody has done A d16y8 upgrade I'd appreciate some feedback
if your looking into a swap then dont waist your money on the CTR motor. dont get me wrong. its a great engine but the GSR will net you the same power for half the price and the swaps are identical as far as parts you need.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A ctr swap shouldn't cost you 5 grand. Its not 2002 anymore. Ctr swaps are around 3500. Still slightly more expensive than a gsr. Both motors have their ups and downs though.

RRMMZAR

Ej8
You misunderstood 5,000 in total. I can get that b16b with intake manifold, MT trans, throttle body, distributor, alternator, complete head and etc. Everything you'd need for the swap for 3,695 jdm imported plus another 1250 for labor to have a shop do the swap, I would do it myself but have no time I'm always working or with my daughter. So yea around 5 big ones...but that GSR sounds like a good candidate for my transplant i can get that one for 3,195 with all parts for swap it has 5 less on the HP but it has great torque and less compression better for a turbo setup. Your right though both have there disadvantages... I was just tryna see whats less to upgrade the internals on the d16y8 or just do a swap and turbo that later in the future.....

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
For the Y8 turbo; rods $400, pistons $150-400, head studs $100, head gasket $100 and that's all you need plus the actual turbo setup itself. Unless you're looking for more than 250 hp. Then you can get into cams and injectors too. I've been told by a few people that the stock intake and head bits flow up to 250-260 pretty easily.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It will be cheaper to build the d series and boost it.

RRMMZAR

Ej8
Ima say around 1,000 or more on parts for the upgrade depending on what brand I plan on getting plus turbo kit... Alright well I'm not really tryna go over 250 it gonna be a daily driver not tryna beat any records at the track....only thing bothering me about the y8 is the RS ratio a perfect ratio correct me if I'm wrong should be 1.75. The y8 has a 1.52. I believe. Im sure theres millions of ppl with a boosted y8 and haven't had a problem I'm guessing I would just have to upgrade on some pretty good internals I heard the TT supra pistons are the same size of the y8's....

Nebster66

yesSIR-S
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It will be cheaper to build the d series and boost it.
I agree with CHILD, use that bulletproof D-series motor and boost it!
Upgrades for a D-series turbo should be around 1,500+ and that depends on what snail you use...
T3/T4 turbochargers are great when paired with a matching front mount intercooler!
There are eBay turbo kits for several hundred but I would steer away from those if I were you!

See what a local shop can do for you if you source and purchase the entire kit or a used turbo kit... GL man!

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If all your looking for is 250 then you dont even need to build the D. Keep it OE and shim/port the oil pump and youll be good to go.

spad3dEK

5+ Year Member
I agree with CHILD, use that bulletproof D-series motor and boost it!
Upgrades for a D-series turbo should be around 1,500+ and that depends on what snail you use...
T3/T4 turbochargers are great when paired with a matching front mount intercooler!
There are eBay turbo kits for several hundred but I would steer away from those if I were you!

See what a local shop can do for you if you source and purchase the entire kit or a used turbo kit... GL man!
Agreed I'm running a Zcz6 stock every thing just refeshed it all and it holds 11psi all day I don't race it all day but it gets me to work in back... I paid 2100 for my full kit installed my self but that was a deal from friend in a local shop and 800-1000 to refresh it all few new parts injectors gaskets ect... Just keep the d and have fun

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Build the single cam! There's so much potential in that motor than most people realize... Sure it's nice to have a DOHC engine, but really in reality, you'll spend more money to swap a new motor + turbo it rather than building the current motor you have and turbing it.

I'm picking up another Honda as well, just for DD... but the prices for aftermarket parts compared to my other car, it's like damnnn why not do this and do that to the Civic? Just to have a little fun...

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I know this may sound harsh but if you don't have time to work on your car because you spend most of your time with your daughter, don't even bother modifying your car. The only real way you can be within budget, and have a strong reliable motor is if you tear down the engine yourself. That means pull the motor from the bay, separating the head from the block, taking these parts to a machine shop, and etc... You don't have to put together the internals, which some shops can do that for you, but the big money saver is taking out the engine and putting it back in yourself.

Here's a run down of parts (this is just high guessing the prices)

Block:
- Machine shop (hone cylinders, tanked, rebalance crank, coated) - $600
- Pistons - $400
- Rods & pins - $300
- Bearings - $300
- STUDS - $200
* I'm sure you can get the machine shop to install these parts as well (if they reassemble) in the price above

Head:
- Machine shop (valved, tanked, porting in/ex, reassembled) - $400
- Valvesprinfs, retainers, etc.. (kit) - $300
- Camshaft w/ gear - $300
- Head gasket - $150

Motor work alone - $2950 (give or take a couple hundred bucks)

Turbo kit:
- EBAY TURBO KIT (mani, turbo, downpipe, fmic) - $700
- Send in the turbo to a reputable turbo shop, have internals rebuilt - $400
- Reputable wastegate - $300

ECU & tuning - $600

Total after all of that... Just about $5000

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Now... I may be totally off with all of the prices since I don't keep up with Honda parts... but I'm pretty damn sure with everything mentioned, you can pull off having a built motor and turbo kit for around $4500 - $5000. ONLY if you put everything together.

And heck, I'm sure even some shops will do most of all that work for you for around that price or a couple thousand more...

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Get the fj vitara setup don't worry bout building the head. Keep the intake manifold and then buy you a decent turbo kit instead o buying a eBay kit and worrying bout when it's going to screw up.

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have my gsr turbo bottom end built for a decent price.

turbo kit = 800 bucks this include
use rc750cc injector
Drag manifold
thermal exhaust (full exhaust system)
tial 48mm wastegate
turbonetic turbo (blown seals)
blitz BOV
IC pipe
intercooler.

Bottom block 300
bore hone deck, micropolish crank, balance piston and rod for 300 bucks =)
SRP piston 400
Eagle rod H beam 260
Eagle Block guard 100
APR head stud 100.

not to shabby....
went with new turbo precsion 6265. 1,000. haha the turbo cost as much as the turbokit already!!! haha =) just search around bro..but single can is cheaper.....and if i ever blow my motor ill go single cam turbo!!!! =) 2 years 10psi motor still running strong!!!

i was stupid enough to buy stupid ebay turbo kit...so dont get it! get a decent kit if you want it to last longer. but the build was cheap, it was just i change everything from generic to name brand....

ebay turbo = precision
Ebay manifold= drag manifold
Ebay BOV = greddy RZ bv
DSM injector = RC injector

hehe =)

if i went the brand name 1st, i wouldnt have waste a s**t load of money!!!

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If your block is in good condition, just get the head rebuilt, slap on a new head gasket and go on about your boosting business.

But if you got stacks on deck then get the motor rebuilt to OE specifications.