D16z6>99ex help please

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Please help, I got this far and I need to know what you have done or if you know anybody who has it. I put a 95si engine in my 99 ex coupe. It runs fine everything is good only problem is the check engine light is on because if the knock sensor. Now the problem here is te 95 block is not tapped for a knock sen. What do I do lol?

kandyapple_si

5+ Year Member
Im just throwing this out there, and i could be wrong but shouldnt you be running a p28 ecu??

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No, I can run a p28, but the function of a specific ecu is not my problem, the difference between the 99(obd2) and the 95(obd1) isn't much. The only difference is the p28 lacks a few sensors, including the knock, and crank sensor on the oil pump. But since I chose to stay obd2 with the engine and keep my 99 ex wire harness without cutting or splicing I have this particular problem. So the ecu situation is a catch 22, if I use the p28 it will not pass inspection due to older on board diagnostics, where as if I used the p2p or 99 ecu I have a CEL for the knock because the block is not tapped.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
people have done a ghetto fix to make the ecu think there is a knock sensor. But, i bet your throwing a code for the Crank Position sensor also. To fix that you'd have to get a different oil pump, oil pan, etc. The easy fix is to run a p28, you shouldnt have to cut or splice anything. Just use a obd2>obd1 conversion harness.

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The oil pump isn't the problem because I switched it to the 99 oil pump before I swapped the engine, I have the knock sensor zip tied to the main engine harness, I was told that's how you "ghetto rig" it. But it's still throwing the code. If I run a p28 ecu with the conversion harness will it pass inspection because from what I understand even though it's converted it's still going to read as obd1 and I wad told that won't pass. Thank you for responded so quick guys.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no there was a way to wire up some s**t from radioshack to make the ecu think that the knock sensor was working...check on Honda-tech. For the Crank sensor, just bolt it on. Your 99 oil pump has a spot for it

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lol I have the crank sensor I'm not throwing the code for that the only the knock I'll check out HT thank you sir

kandyapple_si

5+ Year Member
Youll probably have to get a resistor from radio shack.. So it completes the circuit and makes it think thats its there.