D16z6 . . . .No compression

Trevdawg

5+ Year Member
I tried to search this but did not come up with much.

I bought a 95 civic from my friend for cheap and he said that he thinks it needs a new timing belt. So i buy it and then do a compression test . . . :( . . . no good
90. . . 0 . . 0 . . 0
is what came up, so we didn't even try to do it again cause it sounded so bad. When i try to start the car it sounds as if the cylinders are dry and it is just scratching. . . its horrible
So we double check the timing and the timing belt and it was all good but still nothing.
We are gunna do a wet test tomorrow but i know it ain't going to be good.

any info or ideas?

JDeg6

Well the engine sounds f**ked...
1.) Never tried it but i would try some of that Restore, they sell it at any auto parts store, supposubly restores lost compression. $6 bucks n worth a try...
2.) Start lookin for another engine.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bent valves... broken rod... aweful piston rings...

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Um....are you sure there are even pistons in the engine?

HondaBlood

Grease Monkey
Well the engine sounds f**ked...
1.) Never tried it but i would try some of that Restore, they sell it at any auto parts store, supposubly restores lost compression. $6 bucks n worth a try...
2.) Start lookin for another engine.
First off don't waste your time with that crap :haha There is no cure all in a bottle. And dude your rings are
fried. Pull the engine, tear her down, and rebuild her. And be sure to have the block and head ran through by a machinist.

JDeg6

^^^...Why do all that?.. just get a new engine, if you cant get one off of craigslist and you obviously dont want to get anything else from your friends then just get one from hmotorsonline or tigerjapanese...
They dont bust heads on the d series like they do everything else...

j0keefe21

5+ Year Member
well first i would ask if hes done any work to it. you dont just drop to that low of compression without something happening. make sure he didnt try to adjust the valve or do any head work because if adjusted wrong the rockers could be keeping the valves open. ive seen it happen before. i would also check to see if its timed right even though you are getting 90 out of that one cylinder. dont just replcae the motor, take a good look at it first,

JDeg6

^^^ Why do all that work and waste money on a rebuild kit when you could spend the same money on an engine w/ 35,000 miles?!.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
because a rebuild gives you crazy options.. build for boost? better internals for nitrous.. or to have a BRAND NEW MOTOR(essentially), instead of another used one... rebuilds are not as expensive as you assume it to be compared to the 2 more used motors you'll go through before the rebuild dies..

tear it down and rebuild, I would say you have a blocked oil channel, and/or fried rings.. tear it down, send out the block, head, crank to a machinist have them checked, honed, milled, and tanked, rebuild for what you want it for ...

most 09's/10's are not who you should listen to... blood has made some good posts so he's not the norm

RonJ

Banned
A cylinder leakdown test would tell you where compression is lost and thereby give you a sense of what the damage is.

j0keefe21

5+ Year Member
haha i didnt say a rebuld kit i said take a better look before b4 you just to buying a new motor. and rebuilding is definately a better idea if you know how to propperly rebuild a motor.. but yes ron j is right a leak down test will tell you where your losing your compression

Trevdawg

5+ Year Member
Ya i bought this as a project anywways but on the first day i already need a new motor, damn!
We checked the timing and the belt wasn't snapped and it was lined up. So clearly it is something eles.
It is just gunna sit till i get a job and some money, the motor was going to get swapped out anyways, sooner or later. Then boost it.

JDeg6

Most 09's/10's you shouldnt listen to?..
Thats the s**t that erks me...

(edited by RonJ)

Last edited by a moderator:

eg6white305

Are u sure u did the comp check right? Did it thread into the spark plug holes tight? Check timing, its not hard.Drop some oil into the spark plug holes then recheck the compression.