d16z6 swap in my std hatch. need a lil help...

ricedout

Survivin life
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so im buying this complete swap tomorrow motor and tranny etc. so i know its a fairly easy swap but my thought was since i have a 4 speed trans and the z6 is hydro 5 speed. btw i am doing the cable to hydro conversion. but what axles do i use? or do i swap over front hubs from an 88-91 si or what... this is my only confusion. cuz the std axles are 15 splined right..and the sis are 21 which the z6 are the same if not mistaken.. lmk thx

ricedout

Survivin life
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
anyone?

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the 5th gen axles are diff lengths than your 4th gen ones. there is NO benefit of having a hydro trans in your car. find a ex/si trans or a dx 5speed and have it done correctly

ricedout

Survivin life
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea i did a lil more research and ill have to find a 88-91 si trans and the front hubs to do the z6 swap.. dont wanna us the old 4 speed bs tranny anyone got those for sale?

ricedout

Survivin life
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i was gonna do the cable to hydro but since it doesnt make a diff id like to use the si tranny but since i cant really find one that needs a rebuild for cheap then i might buy the z6 since that ones gonna be like 50-75 bux

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea i did a lil more research and ill have to find a 88-91 si trans and the front hubs to do the z6 swap.. dont wanna us the old 4 speed bs tranny anyone got those for sale?
with the si trans you can use your stock axles and hub but you gotta keep the axles and hubs from the chassis. all the d-series inner parts are the same but the outter parts are different. so the si tranny will work fine with the stock axles and hubs, i know this from experience.

radex7

5+ Year Member
Sorry to butt in guys... is it the same for the crx si transmission? I mean, can I just as easily use this one instead of my 4 speed std? Is there anything else needed? How much do they sell for, junk yard guy wants 200 and I am the one getting dirty... Thanks.

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes its the same. and 200 is way too much IMO. i paid no more than 50 each for the 3 ive had

westracing

5+ Year Member
about a month ago i bought a 91 crx but it doesnt have a motor or anything in it and one of my friends is doing a ls vtec swap in his 1997 civic, will his old motor and transmission be good in my crx or is it just a waste of time? and would the axles work?......im looking to do an EASY swap and dont have the time or money to go B16 or K20... lol

ricedout

Survivin life
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so the si trans has the same spline count on the end of the axles as my std hatch does??? if so ill just get one of those

Morpherex

5+ Year Member
so the si trans has the same spline count on the end of the axles as my std hatch does??? if so ill just get one of those
Yes. On the trans side they have the same count. But on the knuckle/hub side they do not.

Morpherex

5+ Year Member
Look around craigslist for one. I've found one out here but he's selling the hole package; d16a6, trans, axles, wiring, ecu.

ricedout

Survivin life
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea i did but we are really dry for those out here its not even funny! im looking in neighboring states now!