D17 Turbo vs. K20 swap

xxSIfreak

5+ Year Member
Alright so I'm bored of my 05 Civic SI (ex) already. Its not fast enough or fun enough!

I have the option to add a turbo kit to my stock engine, or just do a complete K20 swap. And yes, before everybody starts telling me how much work a K20 swap is, I already know. I know everything step by step how it has to be done, it might be a lot of work but I do have funds, a place to work on the car, and all the time in the world to finish it. I also know the work that goes behind a turbo and am willing to accept either.

So whats your opinion? Do you or anybody you know have either done to their 05 EX (SI)? Nobody I know around my city has either done to this generation Civic. I want to know what you'd rather and why. What do you think the car would handle better?

I talk to a lot of people around here about what they think and everybody has such different opinions, but a lot of people are dead set against doing work to a Civic.

My only reason is that I have the car! Why not!

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you have the money and the available means to get the work done, I see no reason that you shouldn't be doing a swap. Swap in the k20 and you'll have the reliability of a stock vehicle with a great engine with loads of potential to continue building on.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
everyone here is going to tell you to swap if you have the money...

it all matters on the funds you have available

Civic98Talon94

downshifting to 5th gear
5+ Year Member
i"ve got about $16,000 in mine...but i have the K20A Type-r motor and tranny...and all the best parts, that money can buy...

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i"ve got about $16,000 in mine...but i have the K20A Type-r motor and tranny...and all the best parts, that money can buy...
:shock: just swapping in a k20 shouldnt have put you anywhere near that amount so im hoping you have quite a bit done to it or you got raped on prices

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the cheap way out.... all used or very used parts... and some THRIFTY shopping... can get it done in your own garage... for 5K ... this includes price of engine....being just a K20A3. an A2 can be done for 6K..

it will be a little messy... but will run... this cost is not including tuning.

a turbo can be done the right way... buying all new parts... can be done for 5K...

a proper K20 swap... using all new parts except the subframe... is gonna run you 8-10K

this is in a 7th gen civic... not a 6th gen... and no they are not the same... nor is one easier than the other.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Turbo set ups can become much cheaper though if you go for the homemade option and piece it together yourself.

DOPEYBOY247

5+ Year Member
if you have money and you want a faster car then just get a new car, like a 350Z or 370Z .... just saying

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If you have the money and the available means to get the work done, I see no reason that you shouldn't be doing a swap. Swap in the k20 and you'll have the reliability of a stock vehicle with a great engine with loads of potential to continue building on.
im with joe
do the swap for reliability

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Turbo set ups can become much cheaper though if you go for the homemade option and piece it together yourself.
i was just putting it into perspective...

yea turbos can be done for 1500 or less... but.. how reliable is that? and this is being cheap of the cheap...

i couldnt feel safe romping on my car with a 1500 dollar setup knowing that i might have something fail...

if i spent 5K on a turbo setup... id be boosting everywhere.

just saying. think of those famous three things... CHEAP. RELIABLE, FAST... and remember kids... you can only pick 2.

cheap and reliable is where your at now.

cheap and fast is where the 1500 turbo comes in...

reliable fast is where the 5K turbo comes in...

now.. switch to the swap.

cheap reliable is now.

cheap fast is swap done poorly with no tune.. cost.. 5K

reliable fast... is done right with tune for 8-10K

and... for further information...

stock for stock...

the stock turbo D17... with all stock internals.. will be same quickness of all stock K20A2.

the turbo will add however... MOUNTAINS of heat in the engine bay... my PS fluid was boiling on a 90 degree day...

but.. this isnt the thread for the turbo vs swap fight. this is an opinion...

these are my opinions. take them as you want.

remember... nobody here owns your car... you do.

and your money... your car is the rules here. we cannot tell you what to do. we can tell you how we did it.. and how it worked for us.

i am SUGGESTING... the swap. just for a reliability factor alone. and... the cost of aftermarket parts between the 2 are substantial difference.

its like when the B series came out... and everyone realized it was a superior motor..

aftermarket support for the D was... well... s**t.

aftermarket support for the B skyrocketed. and prices did also... but eventually... demand subsided... and so did prices. so now the B series is an affordable engine to have.. while the D still remains expensive to modify. and will never live up to the B series claims.

there are people out there who pour everything they have on a D series. and get to within a few HP of the B...

but nobody has ever taken a D.. and beaten a B of the same caliber. nobody...

the B series can make any number the D has... and do it... atleast 25% cheaper

the highest HP D17 i have seen... was 476.. i dont know if there is higher... but.. i know that is the last one i saw...

highest D16.... i believe.. 700..

highest B... its over 1000

highest K.. its over 1000..

H... 800-900

F.. its over 800

A... 450.

these are all 4 cylinders.. and they all have EXTENSIVE MODS. and all of them are turbo...

and that A series engine.... if aftermarket support wouldve kicked in.... that engine wouldve single handedly... dominate all.

just my personal opinion.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't think anybody will disagree, as you can see from this thread.... Swap it if you can. There's absolutely no reason to go turbo if you have the money and don't have some sort of turbo fetish. :lol:

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
another point on my A series engine.... that was all stock lower end. some extensive headwork was done.

its a 12 valve... and had 450WHP. ran 11s

02civicsi02

5+ Year Member
I say if you really want to swap a k series in there dont go with k20, i say go with the k24a2. It will be just a stock motor and it will be reliable way more than a turbo would be. You can pick up a k24a2 for the same price of the k20a2, the have the same horsepower but the k24 has more torque.

01ES2showcivic

5+ Year Member
What about axle problems bc there is not an aftermarket axles for the D17 to put down power. I have an ES2 and well yes the D17 turbo will eat a stock K20 for lunch i've witnessed and seen it all

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What about axle problems bc there is not an aftermarket axles for the D17 to put down power. I have an ES2 and well yes the D17 turbo will eat a stock K20 for lunch i've witnessed and seen it all
D17 turbo is a very subjective phrase.... all depends on the PSI it's boosting at. Sure, a D17 boosting at 12PSI will kill a stock K20, but then again.. it's boosting at 12PSI, and you no longer have the same reliability of a stock honda engine.

Yes, if money is one's only issue, boosting is the cheapest option for speed.... but if money is not the issue, the K will have loads more potential than the D can ever dream of.

And when you say there aren't any aftermarket axles for us... Are you talking about the ones listed on this site that popped up with a quick google search?
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/performanceparts/Honda/Civic/Drivetrain/Axles

You're right. They couldn't possibly exist.

Please stop spreading misinformation on this forum. As of this moment, you've made 2 posts, both of which contain false information.

Last edited: