Damn Hondas and their rear 1/4 panels!!

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So when I first got the car, I noticed some rust under the rear fender well, which is very common for hondas (prior to '01). But my body guy said after looking at it that just to wait til after winter and replace the exterior panel. NOW, he checked it out yesterday and it looks like both the exterior and interior panels will have to be replaced!!!

I'm at the inbetween stage where I have things for this car that are just sitting, but I can't possibly move forward when JUST the body work is going to cost an excess of $2500 + I still have to paint the entire car! So either I can start looking for a 96-00 shell to through the SOHC engine I have into that, or jump in the cold ass water and go for broke fixing the one I have.... If I fix what I have, I know what's up with all the body and suspension, etc while buying a shell I could run into problems all over again.

I'm looking for opinions as I feel stuck! Needing the random ideas from strangers again. Thanks!

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
go get an estimate somewhere else...

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
go get an estimate somewhere else...
every other place I went for an estimate for just the external 1/4 panel wanted $1250-$1500. That was including paint, which the guy I normally go to said he'd cut me a deal for $900 as I've taken 4 cars to him on several occasions for paint or body work.

But the ENTIRE 1/4 has to be replaced, even parts in the trunk, my passenger side door jam... I know he does some of the best work I've seen around here, but still... I'm thinking $2500 isn't bad as parts alone is closing the gap of $1800, and that's through places online, not him.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the damage is really that bad just sell it and get a new shell

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
holy f**k. i could easily get a taiwan metal 1/4 panel for roughly ~$140, use an air compressor cut-off wheel, fiberglass, mig-welded it in, bunch-a-bondo, and to finish it off do a cheap rattle-can primer to cover...all for WAAAY under a grand+ u pay for material (~$100-150) if u were in scarborough....and u gave me some time.. lol

i did it last year for a crx with a fully rusted 1/4 panel and it came out schwwweeeeed. :cool:

str33tpr3p

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah i just finished doing it myself it took me about 5-6 days of full work . Good experience and ALOT cheaper than bringing it in .

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
holy f**k. i could easily get a taiwan metal 1/4 panel for roughly ~$140, use an air compressor cut-off wheel, fiberglass, mig-welded it in, bunch-a-bondo, and to finish it off do a cheap rattle-can primer to cover...all for WAAAY under a grand+ u pay for material (~$100-150) if u were in scarborough....and u gave me some time.. lol

i did it last year for a crx with a fully rusted 1/4 panel and it came out schwwweeeeed. :cool:
well, I don't have the welder or experience to take on such a wild project... I think I could possibly find parts elsewhere that are used, but I was going with Honda OEM from a 3rd party, new. I'm going to be putting it in the paper, ebay, etc and start looking for a new shell.... The more I talk about it, the more I realize this project is too out there for me...

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it's alright lol.. im an aspiring auto mechanic... last year of high school did it in auto class =)
took me 1 1/2 weeks but my god did it look sexy after.

str33tpr3p

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just buy quarter panels off ebay or something , its not hard im 16 i did it on my own with no experience with a grinder or welder i rented the mig welder needed it for about a day and a half .

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just buy quarter panels off ebay or something , its not hard im 16 i did it on my own with no experience with a grinder or welder i rented the mig welder needed it for about a day and a half .
That may have worked out for you, as I don't have the luck to push on a project like this. EXAMPLE, this last weekend, I was in the process of removing all 4 struts to replace the suspension and finally lower the car... Turns out, both bolts holding the LCA to the trailing arms were missing the heads, JUST GONE! So I call a buddy at his shop and he said to drive it over and we'll work on it... I've owned this car since July '09, I'm assuming the bolts were like this the entire time. 2 blocks from my house, the passenger side snaps and my car slams on the ground, wheel bulging out of the wheel well. I had to buy a good $250 in parts from the ONLY place open that had them, AFTER towing the car the rest of the way to the shop. 5 hours and $100 in labor later, my car limps back home. I still need more parts...

This car has become a nightmare when it comes to modifying or repairing things!

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
holy crap....bro that sucks...gl w/it and stick to it dont give up on ur project....its a project for a reason

oh...and btw.. i thought u were workin on that prelude in ur dp for a sec...haha...er...=\

...anyways...good luck lol.

Mad-Mike

5+ Year Member
My EM1 is rusting on the quarter panel also. Right now I am reading on how I can fix it and go do it myself cause I don't have the money for a shop to do it.

str33tpr3p

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Go to the eg site and look for a guy called teal_dx and he has a whole DIY thread.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I drive my car year round and they use salt very heavily here and the only rust I have on the rear quarters isn't even rust yet. There's a paint chip right on the edge, not even the size of an eraser on a pencil.

You guys need to take better care of your cars :lol:.

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You guys need to take better care of your cars :lol:.
Well, I bought my car with this issue... lol Although, I drove it all winter and did not let the situation progress! Most of the Hondas around here have this issue. My 92 Prelude had the same issued until I had the panels replaced and removed the rubber guard that collected the majority of the water and caused the issue.

I'm looking for a clean shell and just transplant my engine and mods to that anyways. I will try to fix this car and keep it as a daily since it probably won't turn out too great and I wouldn't worry if it was my DD. :D

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So this is the scoop. It's not just the interior/exterior panels... The entire fender well (including the strut mount) has to be replaced... Lowest quote for parts and install $2800, NOT painted, just primered. This is more than I'm willing to take on for a project. Unless I find a trade or roller, this car is dead in the water. As I'm looking for something more long term for a lesser $$ amount. ;)

jdm jim

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dude, i would get another one, it's not worth it just for it to come back

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dude, i would get another one, it's not worth it just for it to come back
yeah, I'm looking now... Unfortunately, I've already been buying parts for the Y8 to build. I would like to find another 96-98 EX and continue the build and keep my current one as the DD. Can't find one in the right price range. Everyone thinks their Civics are made of gold around here and if they are at or under $3k, they have the rusted 1/4s already! Looks like I'll be hunting for a few months. :cussing:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Too bad you don't know how to weld and all that stuff or know someone who does. I know plenty of people that would be willing to help me out if I had a car that had that bad of a problem.