Damn Mis Shift

SilverEXCoupe

Registered lUser
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think it shot up to like 96000 ish rpm i mean my cluster only gos to 8 and the needle whent a lil bit past 8 i doubt 10 and its my fault cause i was getting sleepy so i was like this will wake me up and when i was about to hit 4th gear :smackself and then after that i tried my car 2 more times and it ran all the way to 5th
I'm sure you meant 9600!

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive gone from 5th to 4th unintentionally while trying to upshift into that imaginary 6th gear on the highway :smackself. when youre cruising at 3500rpm your hand just instinctively tries to put it in the next gear :lol:

but 5th to 2nd :shock: that's a big leap!
ive got an imaginary 5th gear in my tercel from time to time lol

lazii boi87

5+ Year Member
well i checked my spark plugs and look inside everything looks fine ( i dont see anything that looks un normal)

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I once downshifted from third to second at around 6000RPMS.. It reved till the needle was pointing straight down (~9000RPM?). I took it off of gear and it was fine. It was soo loud and I was scared I blew my motor.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
consider yourself lucky.

After 3 years of abuse, and my 2nd mis-shift, i blew up my h22.

Shifting off the rev limiter in 3rd (attempting) for 4th, but accidently hitting 2nd, rpm needle wrapped all the way around and touched the peg it rests on when the car is off.

Floated all of my exhaust valves, slapped the pistons, 1 of the pistons has a tiny hole in it....

its getting rebuilt as i type this :roll:

3rd/2nd mis-shift is easy, and its mainly dependent on how you hold the shift knob. Which, i palm it, with my palm to the outside (pasenger side), and i have Tom Motorsports CF buckets that sit really low and hug around you, coupled with my armest. Its hard for me to pull straight back without slamming my arm/elbow into the seat and/or the armrest. Plus i have a natural tendency to pull my arm towards me while im shifting for some reason. Now i'll be practicing a different technique, which will involve flipping my hand around and palming it from the drivers side to make the 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th shifts.

SilverEXCoupe

Registered lUser
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive got an imaginary 5th gear in my tercel from time to time lol
I test drove a 95 Tercel before I got the beloved Civic. It was a 4 speed too. Much happier with the Civic, plus the Tercel had purple seat covers. And that's just foul.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ive gone from 5th to 4th unintentionally while trying to upshift into that imaginary 6th gear on the highway :smackself. when youre cruising at 3500rpm your hand just instinctively tries to put it in the next gear :lol:

ive done that a couple times

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if its not knocking or ticking really loud, your fine. if you would have spun a bearing or dropped a valve, you would know.

i still cant beleive it went into gear to do that. my tranny locks me out.

lazii boi87

5+ Year Member
well ok you guys thank you very much for your opionons & sharing your experinces yall have been tramendous help:beer:

and hopefully everythang is ok this just shows me to be more careful at hi rpms and of course take it easy on my car :drive:

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bent valves. jp it will happen tho, i know a kid with a m5 that did that. f**ked his s**t up. 5th to second or somethign like that he said. idk i just saw the valves. watch out

Chief Slapaho

Registered Tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

haha good thing you didnt go from 5th to reverse :shock:

lazii boi87

5+ Year Member
speaking about grip most of the times when i shift i dont really like put my whole hand on the shifter until yesterday when this bullshit happened i had my whole hand holding the shifter because i was thinkin you know when u pushing your to have a good grip on the shifter

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol ive done the opposite before. the first time i ever drove a stick, i went from first into 4th at like 10 mph and the car revved way up to compensate for it. scared the s**t outta me but didnt do any damage

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol ive done the opposite before. the first time i ever drove a stick, i went from first into 4th at like 10 mph and the car revved way up to compensate for it. scared the s**t outta me but didnt do any damage

WHAT????

First to Fourth, the car would barely stay running at 10 mph.