Dark Grey Hydraulic Fluid

jackdog1

So, I just changed the clutch fluid in my parents' 'o4 LX, and the fluid I removed was dark grey. I replaced it with synthetic DOT3/4, but I was wondering what that color might mean about the state of the lines and cylinders. I've never seen dark grey brake fluid before.

jdm19civic96

Possible metal shavings in fluid

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

jackdog1

Possible metal shavings in fluid

I didn't see any shavings, the fluid is just an opaque grey. Before I changed it I lowered a powerful magnet into the reservoir and it came back clean, so I don't think that's it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Perhaps at some point the reservoir cap was left open or loose and dirt crept in. If it was more brownish then its a sign that it was way overdue for a flush.

jackdog1

Perhaps at some point the reservoir cap was left open or loose and dirt crept in. If it was more brownish then its a sign that it was way overdue for a flush.
Possibly. The fluid didn't even look brown at all, just gray. My parents said it definitely felt stiffer after I changed the fluid. I'll post a picture of the fluid later.

jdm19civic96

In my opinion change transmission fluid with the oil just to be safe fluid always cheaper then a rebuild

jackdog1

In my opinion change transmission fluid with the oil just to be safe fluid always cheaper then a rebuild

Uh, this is a manual transmission. I'm talking about hydraulic clutch fluid, not transmission fluid.