Dash lights not working

nightryder1314

5+ Year Member
I have a 97 ex 4dr. Installed a radio last week and since my dash lights dont work can anybody help me with that already checked my fuses?? Please Help???

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
your dimmer switch is turned all the way down?

iluvpho

5+ Year Member
same thing happened to me after i installed an aftermarket head unit. my AC and cold/hot knobs dont light up at night. i checked fuses and wires its all fine. i got 2000ex anyone help?
thanks

nightryder1314

5+ Year Member
My dimmer switch is good its all the way up. help anybody

clover ej6

i r mekanik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check the plug that plugs to the back of the heater control unit. you usually have to unplug it when you take out the old radio and put a new one in.

BBrads2000civic

5+ Year Member
when u put a aftermarket radio in it sometimes ur dimmer switch will blow dont ask me how but it happen to me and i went and put a new switch in and it work fine havent had anything go wrong

iluvpho

5+ Year Member
oh its called a dimmer switch? so i have to completely replace that switch that plugs into the heater unit?

mrmarc

5+ Year Member
check the plug that plugs to the back of the heater control unit. you usually have to unplug it when you take out the old radio and put a new one in.
Yup. This happened to me when I first installed a head unit in my car. I forgot to plug the climate controls back in. This is where I'd check first.

If I'm not mistaken, if the dimmer is "blown," then your cluster lights will not be working either. Correct?

iluvpho

5+ Year Member
Yup. This happened to me when I first installed a head unit in my car. I forgot to plug the climate controls back in. This is where I'd check first.

If I'm not mistaken, if the dimmer is "blown," then your cluster lights will not be working either. Correct?
But my ac/heat/air still worked. Does that switch control only the lighting?

Every light in my car was working EXCEPT the lighting of the heat/ac/air knobs. It was completely dark. i guess i will have to open up the dash again -_-. its so troublesome taking out that console.

BBrads2000civic

5+ Year Member
um yes it control's ur ac/heat/air but if u had auto like i did the only think what works was my swifting squares on my cluster everything else was out

cfultz

VTEC Just Kicked In Yo!
5+ Year Member
same problem in my si. idk what the hell happened to it. but it does have an aftermarket head unit so its obviously that.

nightryder1314

5+ Year Member

Is that a green plug??

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check fuses underneath hood, and underneath dash.
i had same problem, radio and all instrument panel lights went out. there wasn't a single light inside the car that worked.
i replaced multiple fuses under the dash and hood and it all worked.
but if they all werent replaced, they'd blow out.

dmill12000

5+ Year Member
What if the lighting for the aftermarket radio is still working? My gauges, "dummy lights", turn signals, and ac controls work but I have no dash lights or ac lights. Could it be the same issue? Mine is a 1991 though is there a difference?

RonJ

Banned
OP:

For 6th generation Civic,

1) Check whether fuse 30 is blown.

2) If fuse is fine, pry the dimmer switch out of the dash and unplug the connector. Then jump the red wire to the black wire in the connector. Now when the light switch is turned on, the dash lights should shine at full intensity. If so, replace the dimmer switch.

RonJ

Banned
What if the lighting for the aftermarket radio is still working? My gauges, "dummy lights", turn signals, and ac controls work but I have no dash lights or ac lights. Could it be the same issue? Mine is a 1991 though is there a difference?
For your 91 Civic, do the same except check fuse #8 under the dash.