Day 1 of b20b swap on road.... Help please!

omdaspirations

5+ Year Member
Well i swapped an obd2 jdm b20b into my ej8... looks fresh as hell in the car... now if i can only get it to perform as good as it looks.

I'm kind of stumped.. i test drove the motor in a 2000 hatch, and was amazed at all the torque it had... bought it, dropped it in my coupe...

and now the things feels extra limp. I feel like i'm driving my d series again... Ideas? The guy gave me the same ECU he was running with it so im kind of clueless... it should run the same.

I did upgrade the throttle body, and fuel rail. but thats it. Bone stock.

Throwing CEL's for 21 and 41. thats VTEC solenoid and primary O2 heater.. running a p73 JDM ITR ecu... HELP!!!

what the hell is the problem here...

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The car will not run for s**t until you fix those CEL's, those two are pretty major.

Not sure what you can do about the vtec solenoid, but i would look into fixing your 02 sensor. Sometimes if you fix one code, it will fix both of them for some reason.

I would try just looping a wire through the ecu for the 'vtec solenoid' and seeing what happens.

Not too sure though, as im not all that familar with obd2 setups.

Worst case, sell that ECU and for the money you get out of it buy yourself a p28 with hondata, and an obd2-obd1 jumper harness.

Also, your ej8 weighs about 200lbs more than a hatch, not a HUGE difference, but enough for a 4banger.

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
why are you running an ITR vtec ecu with a b20? that is going to be your first problem, get an ecu for a b20 ...

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You're ej8 is heavier than any hatch and btw, did your boy have aftermarket motor mounts, if so that could be another reason why it feels a lil sluggish/limp. I dont know much about any B-series but I think you're supposed to feel a very noticeable increase in hp/tq vs. your D, that being said, fix those CELs. If it means another ECU, IDK but fix the CELs cause w/ that swap, IMO, you SHOULD feel the same kick it had in ur boys car...

omdaspirations

5+ Year Member
def going to fix the CEL, and I will run down to a CRV ecu... or maybe an obd1 p75...

I just dont get it. this ecu was the same ecu in the vehicle that was running the motor when i test drove it and it hauled ass!!!

So i dont think the ECU is the culprit... It could have some of the blame but not entirly. I will fix the o2 code and then change the ecu and see what happens...

bottomed out on the way to austin yesterday though... and my axle kind of died.. :word:. So got to get a new one first lol.