Dear god help me...give my 05 Civic more power and better exhaust sound

DRISSN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I just got my civic in November. Its a '05 Lx Se 5 spd sedan. I love how the car looks but I want to give it a few more horses. My budget is kinda tight right now so I can't afford to do any major work. I was looking at cold air intakes but I have no idea where to start and which ones are good. Each and every one claims to be the best one out there sooo... If you could point me in the right direction that'd be great. Secondly I really want to get that deep exhaust sound. I want my car to stand out a little. So, what kind of exhaust system do you guys suggest? Hell if you guys can even just direct me at a muffler i'd be appreciative as well. And does a hi-flo catalytic converter make the sound deeper as well? Thanks alot for your guys' time, and if you have any advice on other inexpensive upgrades I'd love to hear it.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yay another intake thread.

Did you even read the STICKY at the top of the 7th gen section. It's even titled "7th Gen power thread READ THIS BEFORE POSTING"....

I'll even link you so you don't have to click back on your browser: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=145971

Now, onto the exhaust.. if you just want a deep exhaust.. cheap eBay muffler will work. Expect to either a) get pulled over or b) called a ricer or c) pulled over and called a ricer by the cop.. but hey you said you want it to stand out right?

If you want a deeper sound but not rapsy, get a real exhaust. Search for good ones. Or even a custom piping with a (non-raspy) muffler.. this is what I did.. much cheaper and sounds pretty good.

Hi-flow cat will make it sound deeper as well yes.. but isn't worth it IMO.

DRISSN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I honestly didn't even see that thread, but thanks for mentioning it. No need to be a d**k though bro. I don't know what a good exhaust is. I mean could you direct me some where or give me some ideas on where to get started looking?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I honestly didn't even see that thread, but thanks for mentioning it. No need to be a d**k though bro. I don't know what a good exhaust is. I mean could you direct me some where or give me some ideas on where to get started looking?
Trust me, be lucky some other dbags on here didnt reply first.. They wouldn't even link you ;)

I would have directed you, but I don't own a 7th gen.. assuming similar exhausts (or atleast names) can be used with both 6th and 7th gen...

custom piping + good muffler = cheapest.

Greddy Evo2 systems are nice
Apexi

Idk really... not big on exhaust. search, I know it's everywhere on the forums. Or wait for someone else to help ya out.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Intakes - They're all the same damn thing. That's why they all claim to be the best. An intake will, at most, net you 2-3 hp. Not worth spending 200+ dollars on. Get on ebay, buy the cheapest one you can get, and spend your money elsewhere.

Exhaust - Get a catback exhaust system. it'll get you a little bit of power (which you're looking for) and make the car sound deeper. I recommend the Skunk2 Megapower. It's what I have on my car, and it sounds great. Deep and throaty, nice powerful sound in the high RPMs. Not too loud that it becomes annoying.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If you're looking for a full catback exhaust on the cheap LMK, I have one for sale for a good price. Full stainless steel and only used for about a year.

Edit: Didn't see that you had an 05, disregard my post about the exhaust

DRISSN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
okay cool, thanks guys. Do you know of any other inexpensive mods I can make to boost my hp? I mean aside from getting rid of all the unnecessary weight..

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Switch out the header. Your catback isn't going to do much for you if the header is restricting the flow beforehand.

DRISSN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I should buy diff headers before I get a diff exhaust then? what brands should i look at? This is my first tuner, before this i had an s10 that i wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole... any and all engine mods are completely new to me.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
okay cool, thanks guys. Do you know of any other inexpensive mods I can make to boost my hp? I mean aside from getting rid of all the unnecessary weight..
Turbo, Supercharge, or Rebuild your motor into a high compression all motor.

HiPowerMtrsprts

5+ Year Member
Good intakes are AEM, Injen, Takeda
Good Exhaust systems are HKS, Greddy Skunk2
definitely get headers if you are going to get an exhaust system

DRISSN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
awesome, thanks alot for the help guys. Its greatly appreciated.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Glad we could help. Let us know if you have any more questions, just make sure you do some research first.

DRISSN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah for sure, nothing is happening right now, I'm going to have to save up for parts. I just wanted to get an idea of where to start, and where this car is headed. I'm not totally sure where i want to go with it yet but now i have an idea of where to start looking.

Matt.Dieterich

5+ Year Member
Since you have a LX....
Buy EX headers, EX downpipe, and a Full catback that fits EX models. More power gain through these headers/downpipe. This is what I did for my 2002 Civic DX, I bought Megans Racing drift spec catback, check it out, nice deeptone and aggressive look. All these items are being shipped right now so i will see how everything fits and works out.

Matt

DRISSN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
let me know how it works out! i'm open to any and all suggestions.

valentip90

5+ Year Member
intake, header, exhaust is about the best you are going to be able to do. maybe a light weight flywheel for throttle response?

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
everyones saying headers, but i assure you you only need 1 header. trust me.

DRISSN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i was thinking about two. you know, for the cosmetic appeal. haha just kiddin bro, thanks for the heads up