Decat?

Jordan94t

Recently bought my first car a 99 Honda civic EJ9 and I was told a good cheap performance upgrade is a de-cat down pipe but don't have a clue what de-cat is good as i've heard that stainless steel de-cats tend too crack...so i need some suggestions of good de-cats maybe a cast iron one if they even make them?and another thing I'm reading that de-cats make your car run lean...don't know what that means?and that de-cats can send your car into limp mode...again don't know what that means all help would be brilliant cause i'm new too all this and i want too modify my car the right way!

Thanks=)

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A de cat is just replacing the catalytic converter to a straight through piece of exhaust tubing or upgrading with a aftermarket header...

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!

Jordan94t

A de cat is just replacing the catalytic converter to a straight through piece of exhaust tubing or upgrading with a aftermarket header...

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!
i know what a decat is and what it does i just dont know what decat too get...so im looking for suggestions thanks...=)

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There isn't really an object called a "de-cat". That term refers to the process of removing the cat to replace it with a test pipe. Your EJ9 isn't going to see much performance gain from installing a test pipe, and the environment is what truely suffers. Keep your cat, meow :thumbs up

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Civics sound sooooo much better with a cat on and its better for good ol mother nature

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You will gain nothing and perhaps even lose back pressure, plus the whole environment thing.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you want performance out of that car, pull the motor/trans out, and replace with b/k-series. As others have said, removing your cat won't net you anything noticeable (I'm serious, like 2hp if that), and you're raping mother nature.. :cry:

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you want performance out of that car, pull the motor/trans out, and replace with b/k-series. As others have said, removing your cat won't net you anything noticeable (I'm serious, like 2hp if that), and you're raping mother nature.. :cry:
Dont rape the mother nature :cry:

upnsmoke

This is a touchy subject. I feel it unwise to encourage the aforementioned mods on a forum, though my opinion may differ in person. You will probably pick up a couple horsepower, and the exhaust sounds better to me without the cat. The effect on the environment of one car is a drop in the bucket. My own opinion, to speak in very general terms, is that auto enthusiasts should do what we want, and can get away with. Let the rest of the world worry about emissions. We are few enough not to matter in the grand scheme of things. If none of what I have to say does anything for you, here is a link- click me - to an Import Tuner comparison of cat vs high flow vs no cat, with dyno results. Cats definitely reduce pollution, but to what overall effect? Here is a link-click me -to some details from the EPA. A little outdated, but still interesting. I'm not advocating disregarding the health of the environment here, but rather pointing out how negligible I believe our effect on it is.

upnsmoke

If you buy into global warming, look into the N2O emissions of a three way catalytic convertor (every modern car has one), and their supposed effect on the greenhouse status of the atmosphere versus that of CO2 emissions of even a catless engine. You tell me which is worse.

6thGenFtw

5+ Year Member
if you did do a decat what would you do with the o2 sensor that plugs into the cat? And since the o2 sensors not plugged in wouldnt your check engine light be on? just doesnt seem worth it to me....

upnsmoke

CEL will come on. Our test pipe came with a bung for the second O2, as do most, if not all, that I have read of. You can space out the second O2 with a spark plug non fouler, or two of them stacked together if necessary. This gives the Second O2 a reading of slightly "cleaner" exhaust than what is present in the pipe, and will keep the CEL off longer. Even with the second O2 placed straight in the bung our CEL took a week to come on. I could clear the codes a few days before going to emissions and pass if I wanted. Easy enough for me.

6thGenFtw

5+ Year Member
sorry for thread jacking but is this a cat delete pipe then? Cause this came with my magnaflow cat back and i never really knew what it was for because it has no hole for the o2 sensor....

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ding ding ding :thumbs up