did i overfill my oil?

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
as you guys may know, i did my first oil change myself yesterday, and i think i may have overfilled it. It isnt that much over the max notch, but anyways, just maybe some reassurance? Attached is a pic

91b18hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, i'm not too good at reading those dip sticks, but as long as you only put 5 quarts in then you are ok

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you overfilled it just a lil bit ...

you want the line on the dipstick to be in between the 2 dots

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
5 qts? I thought the manual says to put in 4 qts...

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
should be less than 4 litres. If it's only slightly over filled it really shouldnt be a problem because usually the level goes down after you've run it for a few minutes, but if its still over the dot, slowly remove the drain plug a let a little into a container cuz it can cause excess splash in the valve train (if you remove too much you can just put it back in). so next time you do an oil change, add the three bottles (unless you buy the big sucker) then slowly add the 4th periodically checking the dipstick.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
aight thanks for the replies guys!

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
ditto. i usually put 3-3/4 and i'm fine

ZuM00Si

Jack Load
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I usally put 4-5 because my car is a monster oil eater. Staying in that vtec all day eats oil like a mofo. =)

9civic7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i try to use four. but i buy synthetic mobil one in the 5 quart jug so i try and keep it close to four

N1EX

Red_Robin
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I put in 4 qts exactly and it's just right

CivicWI97

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've driven with it about where Melt says his is and it's been fine. It was like that for an entire oil change, in fact - so for about 3-4 months it was good. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quite a pain to jack it back up just to drain out a few ounces. What a mess that'd be. Let it be.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As long as it isn't contacting the crank which eats up horsepower and churns air into the oil. Air=compressibilty=blown up engine.

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
glad you asked that Melt, i was wondering the same thing. i ended up like that last time i changed my oil(only the 2nd time ive done it) and i wasnt sure. im glad there isnt too much harm in having a bit too much oil in there.