Differences and reliability between all years of the 6th gen civic?

darthtony360

Im in the processing of looking for a used civic. I always heard that all civics 96-00 are almost the same and reliable , but I wanted see the differences in each year.

Which is the most reliable year of this gen?

Is the engine better for 99 and 00 civics than 96-98?

Which is the worst year of this gen?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
99-00 also has an Si version, whereas the 96-98 did not. Totally different motor -- more power and torque. All 6th gens have a D-series 1.6L, with the exception of the SI, which is a B-series 1.6L.

Like Joe said though, look for the one that's the cleanest and healthiest. If it's been modified, typically it's been abused in some way.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^
Some good advice here. I waited 6months to find a clean un-molested civic. I didnt want green, but after 6 months, i said F it

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^
Some good advice here. I waited 6months to find a clean un-molested civic. I didnt want green, but after 6 months, i said F it
I rather take clean and green over dirty and.. whatever other color, lol

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also, if you find a clean chassis with no rot and hasnt been hacked up, you have the world of choices for motor swaps. They make kits to swap just about any Honda motor in the EK chassis (except the F Series motor, I believe...?).

As far as reliability...if it's been taken care of, chances are it's more reliable. Just remember though...these cars are pushing 15-20 years old. If it hasn't been kept up, things WILL break and fall apart. It's simply the nature of age. My father has an 03 Civic LX, and for the past 5-7 years, hasn't put a dollar into it other than gas and tires. Suddenly, he's dropped over $600 in parts at once because he neglected things until they broke... If a car is taken care of regularly, it's just as reliable as a brand new car.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Main issues with these cats would be the 15+ year old electrical, main points would be pgmfi main relay, the floor harness connector that connects to the driver and passenger doors gets brittle and you will lose power to speakers/windows/locks/mirrors, and there is a TSB out for 1999 models that the wiring harness under the intake manifold rubs insulation off and shorts out and last but not least ignition switches can go out and cause the car to act up or die

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Main issues with these cats would be the 15+ year old electrical, main points would be pgmfi main relay, the floor harness connector that connects to the driver and passenger doors gets brittle and you will lose power to speakers/windows/locks/mirrors, and there is a TSB out for 1999 models that the wiring harness under the intake manifold rubs insulation off and shorts out and last but not least ignition switches can go out and cause the car to act up or die
Minus the TSB, everything you listed is just common old car issues. Can and will happen to ANY dated car...

Not hating, just saying. I wouldn't say those are EK SPECIFIC, more-so 15+ year old car generalities. Though you're right with the door harness becoming brittle and cracking/breaking, I've had the same exact issue with the dizzy plug/harness on my 94 del Sol. It's just an 'old car' type of problem...electrical wire insulation dries out and becomes brittle and eventually cracks. It's just the nature of the beast, so to speak.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've had the door harness issue in both my civics and I ended up fixing both twice lol (because I don't have the tools or pigtail ends to cut the wire and re crimp them so I heat shrinked every wire last time). main fuel relay seems to be a Honda thing but your right it's not 96-00 specific

darthtony360

Thank you guys for all suggestions. Im currently debating as to whether to fix my current honda civic 1997 dx coupe or get another civic from 1996-2000. The reason I want to get a 1999 or 2000 civic is because of the climate control dash , which I can put a double din radio and the engine. My civic has a blown head gasket and damaged engine block , so

Would it be better to fix my civic and repair or replace the engine? Or focus on getting a good used civic??

Here is my current civic.

Attachments

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Personally, I would start over and find a clean 99-00 Civic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

68Camaro

Respected
Well, here's what I can tell you. If you ask around , you can find good deals on motors. Just last week I got a y8 , and 5 speed for 150 bucks. It came out of a 98 with 130k on it, and the trans was butter smooth and the motor ran great. It's been at the junkyard for several years and he was about to crush it before I saved it. I figure that's a extra motor and tranny , which in a pickle if I needed one , would cost me way more.

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
Well, here's what I can tell you. If you ask around , you can find good deals on motors. Just last week I got a y8 , and 5 speed for 150 bucks. It came out of a 98 with 130k on it, and the trans was butter smooth and the motor ran great. It's been at the junkyard for several years and he was about to crush it before I saved it. I figure that's a extra motor and tranny , which in a pickle if I needed one , would cost me way more.

Considering I've seen d16y8 manual trans and long blocks go for around 600-700 in my area that's a smoking deal.

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
Im in the processing of looking for a used civic. I always heard that all civics 96-00 are almost the same and reliable , but I wanted see the differences in each year.

Which is the most reliable year of this gen?

Is the engine better for 99 and 00 civics than 96-98?

Which is the worst year of this gen?
I can tell you based on my experience w/ my 2000 ex It's pretty damn reliable. Keep the service up, and don't drive like a mad man on the stock d16 and you'll have you a car that'll treat you right.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I beat the hell out of my Mini-Me y7/y8 daily and it was as reliable as a grand-ma driven motor. It's all a matter of taking care of it, maintenance wise... Keep up on everything, and you'll be set...its a Honda...not an old Ford...