Dimming/Flickering Instrument Lights

will85w4

Save the SOHC
5+ Year Member
I have been noticing at night while driving with my lights on (at least I'd hope they were on :shock:), that the lights in my gauge cluster (speedo, tach, odo, etc.), and my dome light constantly flicker (kind of a dimming in and out, not an off/on flicker) ever so slightly, but it's enough to notice. It's hard to tell, but I think my headlights do it as well. I am running a baby 400 watt stereo system through the car without a capacitor, but I don't think that's the problem. I put in a brand new battery about 4 months ago as well. I just hope it's not something seriously wrong with my electrical system...any thoughts?

RonJ

Banned
Does the flicker go away if you turn off the stereo?

RonJ

Banned
No it still flickers when it's off...
Check whether 7.5A fuse 15 under the dash is blown and whether the alternator belt is loose or slipping. If those are fine, then you probably need to replace the alternator. Take the car to an auto parts store to test the alternator.

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
mine does this too. took out my stereo system, new battery thats bigger, new alternator, no blown fuses, no belt slip. i even moved my battery to the back used zero guage wire and a very good ground and it still does it

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i had a problem with this, it was my alternator, get it checked first, bet you thats your problem

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If the problem is still happening after you change the alternator check your grounds and make sure all your harness wires are still "loomed" and look your whole harness over. I had it happen to me I went down the whole list I bought a new battery alternator belts new radio capacitor and replaced all my fuses even stereo fuses and it still did it untill I found the spliced ground wire. God said watch this, this M F'er (me) is spending money!!!! Funking dummy. And what did I do??? I spent money. Now my electric system can support Indonesia.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mine did it also, i replaced the grounds with Stinger 4g wire. I also used a voltage stabilizer from SunAuto and havent had any problems after that.

Thebearded_1

Total n00b
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have a problem where my lights for my ac instrument panel and it doesnt turn on but maybe one week out of the month and then off for a month..... i have no clue why, but my wires are all connected and nothing seems to be wrong?!?

balts

5+ Year Member
i had this problem but way worse i put in two alternators and a new batter and a fuze box cause honda has no ideal what they were talking about it. check the power wire from the postive battery wire that goes to the alternator. its a way to save lots of MONEY and prolly fix the problem. if your ALT was bad ur car would die not just dim the light a bit. once they go they go. and if u have a new battery then its that wire or fuzes. check ur alt just in case

jsanders

LegacyCore
5+ Year Member
Yep had this issue as well when I bought mine, but it turned out to the fuse 15 7.5a it was blown. So replaced it and have had no issues since.

will85w4

Save the SOHC
5+ Year Member
Update on this...

I took my ground wires off and sanded the point of contact with the chassis and sanded the terminal tips a little. It has definitely helped and the dimming/flickering has subsided a little bit and isn't as severe now...I have a feeling this is related to my ground wires, I just have to get some 4g audio wire now and re-do the grounds.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I want to apologize for asking a 'cluster question' in your thread op but its better than creating a new one...

I want to know if there's a light bulb behind the lower RPM range. Cause on my CRV cluster, the lower RPM range is really dim and I just dont feel like taking everything off just to see if its blown or not. The rest of the RPM range and the rest of the cluster lights up normally, its just in that lil corner...

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
search a cluster bulb thread.. they have pics of the back.. and the part #s for replacememt

will85w4

Save the SOHC
5+ Year Member
I want to apologize for asking a 'cluster question' in your thread op but its better than creating a new one...

I want to know if there's a light bulb behind the lower RPM range. Cause on my CRV cluster, the lower RPM range is really dim and I just dont feel like taking everything off just to see if its blown or not. The rest of the RPM range and the rest of the cluster lights up normally, its just in that lil corner...
I took my cluster apart as I was going to replace the bulbs with blue ones and discovered the guy sent me the wrong bulbs, but said they were the right ones...anyways, I discovered it was two tiny little bulbs that are located on top of the cluster and shine through to the gauge faces...

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^ I know what those are but I was actually talking about the bulb in the back... I had this idead, I have a crv cluster so it lights up amber.... I actually like it really dark inside the car at night so I keep them dimmed but at times I cant even see the needles so I was thinking since they're white, I could replace the top two bulbs (you, will85 mentioned) with UV LEDs.... hummm Im just waiting for my boy to lend me his solder s**t cause I already have LEDs and resistors...

Well the add is getting the best of me and Im going off topic. Peace!