Disappearing coolant

medorihb

5+ Year Member
So here's the deal. my coolant is disappearing!! no coolant in the oil, no leaks, system pressurizes with no leaks. however the car will get hot (fan works) and when i check it out there appears to be no coolant in the radiator, and the overflow tank is empty (was full to the mark). there is no CEL and no hesitation on the motor insinuating that there is coolant in the cylinders. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
this has been going on for a few weeks.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
head gasket?

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You either have a bad head gasket or a small leak that only leaks when your driving the car. Check the seams on the radiator. Also start the car up and take a good wiff of the exhaust. Sometimes it's hard to see or smell coolant if the head gasket is blown. You may have a leak in the heater core as well. Pull up the carpet on the passenger floor and see if theres any sign of coolant. Good luck and keep us posted.

medorihb

5+ Year Member
haven't smelled it from the exhaust, however i can smell it when i turn the heater on, so i might be safe to say that it is in the heater core and it might be time to replace it. i need to swap the y7 head off and put the y8 head back on so i'll be able to replace the headgasket and eliminate one of the possible causes. keep you posted

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you can smell it when the heat is on, you either have a leaky heater hose or your core is leaking.

luis385

5+ Year Member
I have this same problem. But I do have a puddle of coolant on the passenger side. Is it the heater core? Can anybody give me a definite answer. I don't want to take the whole interior dash to then find out my core was just clogged or something.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it will need replaced, or if you live in florida like i do, you can just block it off and it wont be used.

Boricuapr_1

5+ Year Member
head gasket?
:word:
Go ride for a bit, as soon as the temp starts to go up pull over and remove your spark plugs, use a flashlight to see inside the cylinder, you'll see the water.
happend to me in a Mazda Protege i had
Good luck bro....