distortion problem

Si_Hatchy

5+ Year Member
so i installed all new alpine speakers and a 4 channel amp and Im having an engine distortion problem only in my tweeters in the front. any suggestions?

Make sure none of the wires are touching. Sometimes running the power, ground and remote wires together from the engine compartment and cd player can cause a sort of whine. I usually run the power and remote on one side of the car, and just connect the neg. to a clean paint free part of the trunk. How exactly do you have it setup? More info would help.

Si_Hatchy

5+ Year Member
the negative is bolted down to the rear seat

Did you use a harness to connect the cd player or did you just hardwire it, could be the speaker wires are hitting a metal part in the car. Also what gauge wire are you using? I usually go for 0 gauge monster cable or something like that, it costs more but it's better insulated. I could also be the rca connects arn't in all the way or backwards. How many watts is your amp? Dose the noise get louder as you accelerate. Is a whine noise?

Si_Hatchy

5+ Year Member
i hardwired it cuz the harness was not working forme. im using 4 gauge cuz im only running the amp for highs. no sub. all the wires including the rca are either rockfors fosgate or kicker. Ill definitely check the rcas tomorrow. the amp is a 650 watt hifonics. not sure if it gets louder cuz i havent driven it but i know its a whine noise.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sounds like a grounding issue

Yea ground I think also.Try moving the ground closer to the amp. I try to keep mine on the body of the car, like the quarter panel or something.

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ground it to a solid elongated bare part of the car where only carpet is going to be on it, also make sure you re-wire your power and audio cables running down the sides separately, Power on left, Audio on right

Ground it to a solid elongated bare part of the car where only carpet is going to be on it, also make sure you re-wire your power and audio cables running down the sides separately, Power on left, Audio on right
Yeah I forgot to mention that...if you run the power cables with the speaker wires that can also produce the irritating whine.

Scott Gardner

rca cables cant be ran adjacent to any high current power cables. it will amplify any noise from the alternator. check ground on the head unit and make sure the amp is grounded to a metal scraped free of paint and primer within 16 inches.