Distributor Leak.

A2C

**Pictures will be edited into the post in the next hour or so.
****Scratch that. I took picture.. Got them on my computer. I don't know how to make them an html, so no pictures,

All right. My last thread didn't do too well. Maybe you guys can help me out with the distributor leak. Looking for some general info.

I have a leak coming from the bottom of the distributor where the Distributor Housing and the Distributor Cap.
I have replaced the O-Ring and put silicone around it once or twice before (recently), but the leak is still there.
I took the distributor completely off again, and there is still oil getting into it. I took the Ignition Coil, Ignition Control Module and all that out so I could get a good look into it. There wasn't a full puddle, but there was a good amount inside, and the more I would turn it over more would come out.

I would think the oil is getting in through the Distributor End / CamShaft End.

Is there anything that I can adjust here to fix the leak, or will I need a new distributor all together?

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No unless you have a rebuild kit for that distributor. Buy a new is about the only way to fix it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I went through this before. I too thought it was a distributor leak. Change the Vtec solenoid gasket. It leaks oil and drips it under the distributor. It was quite a heavy drip too.

Also, make sure you change the top gasket on the actual solenoid. There's also a gasket that goes between the Vtec housing & the engine.It has a screen filter on it. I cant recall the name of that gasket right now. Change both if you want to be on the safe side, but I would be inclined to think you'll only need the top gasket

A2C

No unless you have a rebuild kit for that distributor. Buy a new is about the only way to fix it.
I can't seem to find a repair kit that has the piece I'm look for. It's the piece that's connected to the Camshaft that is letting the oil into the distributor.
They have the cap, coil, etc. but otherwise, not what I'm looking for.
That lil guy in the middle there (left side)

I went through this before. I too thought it was a distributor leak. Change the Vtec solenoid gasket. It leaks oil and drips it under the distributor. It was quite a heavy drip too.

Also, make sure you change the top gasket on the actual solenoid. There's also a gasket that goes between the Vtec housing & the engine.It has a screen filter on it. I cant recall the name of that gasket right now. Change both if you want to be on the safe side, but I would be inclined to think you'll only need the top gasket
Below: Basically, I've replaced the Vtec gaskets and it's no longer leaking.
I know about the solenoid. In my previous thread (only one response.. by yours truly) I posted that I had found the VTEC leak.. guy at the Honda Superstore let me know that the piece I was talking about didn't exist, I bought the one with the screen anyways and replaced that as well. Took of the top of the VTEC all together and the last 8 of my Vin and we found it. Replaced that.

Update: All right. So after talking a little bit - rather than attempt a repair kit for the piece anyways (I'm guessing there's a seal on the inside that's probably worn a groove in there and it allowing oil around it), or buying a new one, I'll head to a salvage yard and see if I can just grab a distributor from there. The O-Ring was replaced and silicone was put around it. It's getting into the distributor (not around it / the housing) and coming out between the housing and the cap.