DIY a/c compressor

civic_dreamer

5+ Year Member
Hey, I had a look in the thread posts but cant find too much about a/c compressor install or removal. I wanted to remove mine to try and get it reconditioned because its busted. A new one through a mechanic could cost me up to a grand (AUS) and I need to save my pennies! I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a DIY removal thread or info on the web. I thought I would be able to do it easy but upon opening my hood I saw more tubes and lines coming out of it than I could count. Even If someone could direct me which nozzles to turn off to stop the refrigerant escaping etc that would be awesome. I might be able to figure the rest out my self. Thats if I can even remove it from the top of the engine bay or would I have to get under the car? Saves the guys at the shop bending me over! Any help would be greatly appreciated - Cheers
p.s its a 93 civic GL sedan. I think thats an eg in America.

RonJ

Banned
You need to drain the refrigerant and have it properly disposed of before removing the compressor. If your original system was R12, you'll need to convert the system to R134a.

If you already have a R134a system:
After the compressor is removed and you have a replacement, the next step is to flush the system of debris. When compressors die, metallic debris is often shed into the system. Your new compressor won't last long if the debris isn't removed.

After flushing, you install the compressor, as well as a new receiver/dryer, evacuate the system and test for leaks, and recharge the system with the specified amount of refrigerant.

You may find it easier to pay a shop to do the flush, evacuate, and recharge steps for you.

civic_dreamer

5+ Year Member
You need to drain the refrigerant and have it properly disposed of before removing the compressor. If your original system was R12, you'll need to convert the system to R134a.

If you already have a R134a system:
After the compressor is removed and you have a replacement, the next step is to flush the system of debris. When compressors die, metallic debris is often shed into the system. Your new compressor won't last long if the debris isn't removed.

After flushing, you install the compressor, as well as a new receiver/dryer, evacuate the system and test for leaks, and recharge the system with the specified amount of refrigerant.

You may find it easier to pay a shop to do the flush, evacuate, and recharge steps for you.
What does the receiver/dryer look like? Do you have to install a new one or is it just preferable. Thanks for the info guys!

RonJ

Banned
Even trace amounts of moisture in air can wreak havoc on the A/C system. The receiver/dryer has the job of removing small amounts of moisture in the system and must be replaced any time that the A/C system is opened to the air.