DIY Blackout headlight problem..help!

simpsonbuck3436

Efficiency Junkie
5+ Year Member
The first few weeks everything was fine. I'm now going on about week number two and some problems are arising.

1. The reflective material around the headlight bulbs are starting to form a rainbow like haze on them and in some spots has been completely removed. (This is not the pull out that you paint but what stays connected to the housing where the bulb is)

2. There is a hazy like film starting to cover the inside of the lens cover. It looks like when oil sits atop water....like a rainbow.

3. Some paint is starting to chip on the sides of the part I pulled out.

I don't think I gave adequate time for the paint to dry before placing them back in the oven allowing gas to slowly escape and eat away at non painted surfaces.. I also think I left them in too long at too high of a temp. (350f@6minutes)

I know I can fix the the chipping by just getting the housing back open and sanding&repainting. This time I'm gonna use Krylon Fusion. I used some crappy stuff laying around the house 1st time around.

How can I fix the reflective material? Can this be spray painted with a special paint? Or am I screwed?

*1.*This indicates the material the bulb reflects off of. I have a few dime size spots that are being dissolved off.
*2.* Can I black this part out(and be street legal) as long as I have a amber bulb and the amber insert?

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w196/simpsonbuck3436/?action=view&current=IMG_0082.jpg&t=1208761088823

Free advice to anybody new who attempts this.....TAKE YOUR TIME. It will be worth it not to have to redo it.

simpsonbuck3436

Efficiency Junkie
5+ Year Member
Anybody?

I finally have a day off and want to get this fixed. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

khoakers

Ugly Asian Bastard
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
only thing you could do is take em back out, and do it the right way. be patient with it, give it adequate time to dry, and maybe you could try a primer coat or something.

khoakers

Ugly Asian Bastard
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think you might be able to clean out the hazy parts with WD40.

simpsonbuck3436

Efficiency Junkie
5+ Year Member
Thank you.

What primer should I use? The paint was a oil based sherwin williams brand spray paint.

Big foul on my part!

Can I black out the turn signal reflective part and keep the amber bulb and insert and still be legal?

Legal enough to not get harassed that is. lol =)

khoakers

Ugly Asian Bastard
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thank you.

What primer should I use? The paint was a oil based sherwin williams brand spray paint.

Big foul on my part!

Can I black out the turn signal reflective part and keep the amber bulb and insert and still be legal?

Legal enough to not get harassed that is. lol =)
just go to walmart and look for plastic primer. as for the signal part, i honestly dont know. i guess you'll have to experiment unless someone on here can give you a better answer.

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
start fresh man, wait for a weekend you have so you don't have to drive your car. Take them apart and pull the housing out, sand them down completly, so you have a fresh surface to start on. Prime it up, let it dry the rest of the day and continue the next day. Paint the housings with the color you want and again let it dry over night. Clean the lenses real well and try not to touch the inside of the lense or wear gloves while doing it so you don't have an perminate finger prints in there once they're sealed up. Once you get them back together get some extra sealant and throw that s**t on around the edges so no moisture what so ever can get in :thumbup:

simpsonbuck3436

Efficiency Junkie
5+ Year Member
Will a glass cleaner that does not contain ammonia work or is there a better solution? (inside of lens)

Can I also use this to clean the reflective material?

I searched and searched and couldn't find the answers I needed. I know this has been asked before so I'm sorry if this is redundant.

I'm trying to get all this done and gauge the suspension damage to the front end of my car. I really don't want to buy a new car(payments) but if it's gonna cost almost half of what I still owe(6,000) I'm gonna have to get another car.

This is why I want to get this right.

Thanks for the help.:cool:

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would clean it with rubbing alcohol, it evaporates really fast and will remove any residue. As far as redoing it, definately sand and prime, but i think a complete day for primer to dry is a little over the top. Cosidering black primer is flat, it should be dry to the touch within 10 min. and the recoat window should be like 40 min. or something like that. Since you had the problem of them hazing up, let it sit over night after your final coat is on.

civic96hb

USAF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
start fresh man, wait for a weekend you have so you don't have to drive your car. Take them apart and pull the housing out, sand them down completly, so you have a fresh surface to start on. Prime it up, let it dry the rest of the day and continue the next day. Paint the housings with the color you want and again let it dry over night. Clean the lenses real well and try not to touch the inside of the lense or wear gloves while doing it so you don't have an perminate finger prints in there once they're sealed up. Once you get them back together get some extra sealant and throw that s**t on around the edges so no moisture what so ever can get in :thumbup:
:word: just listen to him. he knows what he's talking about

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Will a glass cleaner that does not contain ammonia work or is there a better solution? (inside of lens)

Can I also use this to clean the reflective material?

I searched and searched and couldn't find the answers I needed. I know this has been asked before so I'm sorry if this is redundant.

I'm trying to get all this done and gauge the suspension damage to the front end of my car. I really don't want to buy a new car(payments) but if it's gonna cost almost half of what I still owe(6,000) I'm gonna have to get another car.

This is why I want to get this right.

Thanks for the help.:cool:
that'll work fine, I used some streak less glass cleaner for mine and used news paper to clean them, news paper doesn't leave marks like paper towels will.

not the greatest picture, but mine were used with wal=)mart primer and paint :what:

khoakers

Ugly Asian Bastard
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not the greatest picture, but mine were used with wal=)mart primer and paint :what:

same here. its basic stuff that shouldnt take you too long. when i first blacked out my headlights, it only took me about an hour and a half, and that was my first time doing it. came it out perfect, no chips or anything. best thing you can do is redo the whole thing, and take your time with it.

simpsonbuck3436

Efficiency Junkie
5+ Year Member
Looks good. I primed and painted and I'm gonna let them sit out all night. I went ahead and changed my pcv valve while my car was on jacks.

I wish I would have been patient the first time around, striping and sanding is a biatch!

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Looks good. I primed and painted and I'm gonna let them sit out all night. I went ahead and changed my pcv valve while my car was on jacks.

I wish I would have been patient the first time around, striping and sanding is a biatch!
It's worth it, painting s**t isn't for someone with no patience.

BlownGasket

Civic From Hell
5+ Year Member
i think you might be able to clean out the hazy parts with WD40.
isnt WD40 oil based???? wouldnt that just hender the oil haze problem?? windex dude. completely cleans it. it rocks. i havent painted mine yet, but i helped my buddy and it worked great. he had the same problem you have.

simpsonbuck3436

Efficiency Junkie
5+ Year Member
I finally got two days off in a row. I'm gonna make this a full maybe two day project.

I'll let you know(with pics) how it turns out.