DIY intake heat shield???

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anyone ever done a diy intake heat shield? my brother has done it for his but i can't seem to get a hold of him. so anyone? If not, i'm planning to do it for my car, so any tips would be grateful. much thanks in advance.

Last edited:

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nope.. but Ive thought about doing it..

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i bought mines off ebay..got it for $15 and it is made by injen. fits perfect, save me time on buying the material..thinking of the design..figuring out how to mount it..and it might not even fit perfect.

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im gonna look for some spare plastic.. harder plastic.. Ive got a plastic box, maybe I can cut it and cut a hole in it to fit around the intake tube.. it should block off in a L shape.. might try it sometime this weekend or something.. its gonna be ghetto though.. haha

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WARNING Long dead thread revival: Don't b***h. I hit search before I made a new thread.

I've pretty much decided on going with the short ram intake. Mainly because I am lazy and hate pulling the fender liner off to wash my air filter.

There is no K & N FIPK with the nifty heat shield for the filter for my car so I'm going to have to make my own.

Any material suggestions beyond a piece of powder coated sheet metal bent and cut to fit (ugly but solid) or one of those shiny mylar windshield sun blockers? (flimsy as hell)

I'm actually considering making one out of those WalMart Sterlite storage bins and covering it with the mylar windshield blocker but I don't know if the Sterlite bin can withstand underhood temps. :what:

stiff plastic, already has 90° bends, may warp or melt under heat though

glued to external surfaces. light weight and heat resistant

So, any other ideas for a DIY intake heat shield?

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WARNING Long dead thread revival: Don't b***h. I hit search before I made a new thread.

I've pretty much decided on going with the short ram intake. Mainly because I am lazy and hate pulling the fender liner off to wash my air filter.

There is no K & N FIPK with the nifty heat shield for the filter for my car so I'm going to have to make my own.

Any material suggestions beyond a piece of powder coated sheet metal bent and cut to fit (ugly but solid) or one of those shiny mylar windshield sun blockers? (flimsy as hell)

I'm actually considering making one out of those WalMart Sterlite storage bins and covering it with the mylar windshield blocker but I don't know if the Sterlite bin can withstand underhood temps. :what:

stiff plastic, already has 90° bends, may warp or melt under heat though

glued to external surfaces. light weight and heat resistant

So, any other ideas for a DIY intake heat shield?
what were you planning on using the mylar for?

I ssaw a guy use a rubbermaid trash can and cut it with an angle grinder, it took the heat very well. It was on a ford lightning though not a civic sorry. Are there any benefits to this other than lowering the temp of the air going in?

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-2-lightnings/36744-3-95-diy-heat-shield-cold-air-intake.html
that's pretty cool, it doesn't look bad at all for a diy.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I ssaw a guy use a rubbermaid trash can and cut it with an angle grinder, it took the heat very well. It was on a ford lightning though not a civic sorry. Are there any benefits to this other than lowering the temp of the air going in?

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-2-lightnings/36744-3-95-diy-heat-shield-cold-air-intake.html
HAHA!!! That's awesome! :thumbs up

the only other benefit I can think of is that I don't have to un-ass the wheel and fender liner to clean the filter.

c_diddy said:
what were you planning on using the mylar for?
reflecting heat and aesthetics.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
reflecting heat and aesthetics.
you could actually go to your local hardware store and purchase insulator that looks a lot like mylar. i used it to wrap my ebay intake pipe along with 2.5" pipe insulator. it probably didn't do much but altogether it kept the pipe from heating up.

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
the only other benefit I can think of is that I don't have to un-ass the wheel and fender liner to clean the filter.

ah true, if you do this please post pics!!

4door?

5+ Year Member
Fiberglass

Im gonna be making mine today out of fiberglass, and im gonna mold it to where it will cover all that nasty ass guttedness in the bottom right corner too...any suggestions on what i can wrap it with to deflect more of that heat???

95civicvx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wrapped my intake pipe is some old window and door insulation material. It works very well, but looks uber ugly brown.

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just modified my stock box to fit around my filter. works pretty good imo. probably not much for insulation but it keeps my filter a lot cleaner, better than nothing right?