DIY Kevlar

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
(Edit: needs to be moved to Interior.. my bad)

I've been wanting to wrap OEM parts and start making custom molds using carbon fiber and kevlar for quite some time. I dabbled in it when I had my EJ8, but now I'm jumping into. I figured I would post this in here too since there is some local guys that want me to do some work on their EJs & EKs. I'll post follow ups as soon as they get completed as well.

This is from my 350Z. It's the rear strut brace cover.

Saturation Coat

(testing an idea)

2nd & 3rd layers of epoxy

Sanding/buffing/polishing. You can see all of the dimples in the epoxy here:

Installed (holes are for the "Z" to be replaced)

Through the dirty window & 20% tint

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It looks pretty good. So you're just wrapping stuff in kevlar/carbon fiber right? Or are you making the pieces out of it and just using it as a mold. Either way, finished product looks pretty good.

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It looks pretty good. So you're just wrapping stuff in kevlar/carbon fiber right? Or are you making the pieces out of it and just using it as a mold. Either way, finished product looks pretty good.
Both. The interior parts I'm actually wrapping because to try getting all the tabs, holes, and mounting brackets would just be a headache. Exterior items are going to come from molds. I'm in the process of making molds for a 350Z front Nismo V2 lip as well as a a lip spoiler similar to the Blitz that has open weave on the bottom and painted body color on top, one for my Z and one for my buddy's 97 Civic Coupe.