DIY: Turn a cheap ebay shift knob into a badass knob!

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So here I go again modding stuff... this time I found a great deal on an aluminum ebay shift knob that after modding will look like an oem rsx knob, like so:

here is the deal i found... LINK

which totals up to $9.94 shipped!! wow what an awesome deal! right? well maybe. upon arrival of this knob, the aluminum looked so tarnished with all this crap on the surface that looks like the manufacturer didnt bother cleaning it before shipping, i mean you can even see in the pictures the nasty texture.... but you get what you pay for right?

at least there is something you can do about it, resurface it! i took some heavy grit sand paper, i'm not sure what grade but its for wood, pretty coarse. i took out my tap and die set and mounted the knob on the one that fit, then stuck it on the mill, turned it on and let the sand paper eat it away evenly. this actually took about 5 mins to completely resurface its intended luster, good price and next to no work involved =D

i should have taken some before shots... but you can see the difference is HUGE in the process shots

i'll take a pic of the knob installed tomorrow when its brighter outside =)

MajEK

Cry Some More
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks alot better.

thanks, now i gotta figure out how i want to paint the numbers/shiftgate... i'm thinking nail polish?:???:
RUSTOLEUM!!

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Sure wish i had a place I could do that in... Interested in making another? :P

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
RUSTOLEUM!!
hmm, do they sell small enough jars of that stuff? i'd hate to get so much and have laying around

Sure wish i had a place I could do that in... Interested in making another? :P
lol i wish i could make my own knob, i actually dreamt of spinning one out using a lathe.... oh how i wish i had a lathe.....

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
take some paint and a small bristle brush, brush it on and if there is any that gets onto the knob, just wipe it off before it dries.

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
take some paint and a small bristle brush, brush it on and if there is any that gets onto the knob, just wipe it off before it dries.
lol the only kind of paint i can think of is nail polish, or maybe automotive touchup paint

or maybe i'll just spray a buncha rustoleum in a can and use a brush :lol:

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice work, well only thing you can't fix is the missing 6 hehe

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i know this pic isnt the greatest, taken from my phone. you can pretty much see what it looks like though but i'll try to get a better digicam pic later

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not bad but it doesn't look like the RSX knob

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not bad but it doesn't look like the RSX knob
well of course not, if i were able to move the lettering then i definately would. im sure thats as far as anyone can mod a crapknob into one, besides the red paint

98civic_boii

WHAAATTAAAA!!!!!!
5+ Year Member
I know Krylon Fusion bonds to plastic chemically somehow. Maybe there is a paint that bonds to metal?

I guess thats a bit overboard haha, just get some spray paint and a toothpick and dab it in there :P Only like 6bux a can.