do i need shocks?

x LJ x

100% HondaHead
I am going to buy some eibach lowering springs for my 99 civic ex. Should i buy a combo of the springs/shocks as well, or will my shocks be able to take the pressure?? i do not intend on really racing this car(unless im late for work). i mainly want it for the looks. so any info would be great, thanks !

sixwhip14

5+ Year Member
You probably should get shocks too. Your stock shocks wont last long with lowering springs. You will have to fix it again later if you just go with springs only.

afoss

5+ Year Member
I am going to buy some eibach lowering springs for my 99 civic ex. Should i buy a combo of the springs/shocks as well, or will my shocks be able to take the pressure?? i do not intend on really racing this car(unless im late for work). i mainly want it for the looks. so any info would be great, thanks !
as long as they are in good shape or recently replaced just keep them. Do a bounce test on your car to inspect them. If you press down hard on the front of the car and it goes down and up and down and up they are bad, they should only go down and slightly back up

x LJ x

100% HondaHead
Thanks a lot guys for the info . Ill make sure to inspect them. Another question? If they are bad,should I go for a spring/shock combo or should I get stock shocks ?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Which Eibach springs?

Either way, you'll definitely need new shocks. Your OE shocks are NOT designed to handle the spring rates and drop of the Eibach springs. It'll ride better and last a lot longer with new, aftermarket shocks. It'll be well worth your money(and in the long run time) to install new shocks and springs all at once and be done with it.

emerican

Registered VIP
I would just go ahead and replace them while you where at it and know its done right.

yangr

i would stay with the stock shocks..i mean..if you live where there are a lot of pot holes then yea i would get new shocks..but if you're like me and the roads are all flat and no cracks..the stock ones should be fine

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i would stay with the stock shocks..i mean..if you live where there are a lot of pot holes then yea i would get new shocks..but if you're like me and the roads are all flat and no cracks..the stock ones should be fine
They won't be fine, especially if the OP is lowering on Eibach springs.

He's better off replacing the shocks with aftermarket ones that are designed to handle lowered applications. They will last a lot longer and won't be as bouncy once the stock ones blow.

x LJ x

100% HondaHead
i guess i should look for a combo then. i was thinking about getting the Eibach but the lowering spring kit doesnt go as low as i would like. i was thinking about a 2.0 drop and like a 1.8 drop in the rear. and the coilovers are more pricy. any suggestions ??

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
The Eibach Sportline springs note that they would lower your car 1.8" f/r while their suspension kit with the same springs note 1.6". I'll check with Eibach to see if that is correct. If you want to pick and choose your height you'll have to go the full coilover or coilover sleeves with shocks route. They cost more but sometimes it's worth it if you end up trying multiple springs and still don't like the drop, eventually ending up with coilovers.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
FYI, I checked with Eibach and the drop difference depends on the model and year of the civic. The shocks that come with their kit has stock perch locations. EGs have 1.6" drop while EK's ahve 1.8" drop.

x LJ x

100% HondaHead
well i got a 99 civic ex sedan. i wouldnt mind if the drop would be 1.8 f/r at least. i would really prefer 2.0 though. are the skunk2 coilovers a good product to go with ??

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
well i got a 99 civic ex sedan. i wouldnt mind if the drop would be 1.8 f/r at least. i would really prefer 2.0 though. are the skunk2 coilovers a good product to go with ??
Skunk2 coilovers are popular. They will ride a bit stiffer than a shock spring combo would.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i love my skunk2 pro s coilovers. Im VERY happy with them, i just wish the fronts went lower. But im lowered like 4.5 inches so you will be fine. They are stiff, but you get use to it and its really not that bad at all.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Skunk2's are a popular choice. But I've heard better things about Function & Form Type I's. They don't go too low but they are a very popular coilover for people on a budget. I think they're slightly cheaper than the Skunk2 Pro S coilovers.

x LJ x

100% HondaHead
Skunk2's are a popular choice. But I've heard better things about Function & Form Type I's. They don't go too low but they are a very popular coilover for people on a budget. I think they're slightly cheaper than the Skunk2 Pro S coilovers.
are those a good coilovers though? like is the quality the same as the skunk2's ? and what is the average drop with those ?

afoss

5+ Year Member
are those a good coilovers though? like is the quality the same as the skunk2's ? and what is the average drop with those ?
I have F&F type 2 on my eg and my car is tucking almost a full 195/55/15 tire ahahhaha!