Does Dynamat Work?

jukeandburn

5+ Year Member
I have a 04 civic lx 4 door and have 2 12' subs. Lots of rattle. I want to dynamat my whole trunk. Does that reduce the rattle?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
jukeandburn said:
I have a 04 civic lx 4 door and have 2 12' subs. Lots of rattle. I want to dynamat my whole trunk. Does that reduce the rattle?
it should

do this first tho...play ur subs as you normally would play them and see if you can find the main cause of the rattle. sometimes its the license plate frame and some cheap peal and stick foam will do the trick.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the quick answer is..

yes, it works.

seabeeunit87

5+ Year Member
my 03 did that before but then i just change my 12's into 10's and it stopped rattling

cvcc

5+ Year Member
I did my whole car- trunk, interior, roof, everything...

It makes a huge difference... but I recommend you use an alternative- edead is fantastic, fatmat is good, but they have had delivery problems.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
what's it called... brown bread?

i've never seen anyone with anything other than dynamat, so i personally don't know... but i guess the alternatives works just as well, and they're much cheaper.

that's the draw back to dynamat if you have to buy it at retail price.

STR_TopGun

ES1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
actaully it is really good,,,,,My friend right know is testing out r-blox or something like that and it seems to be pretty good too...it does the same thing as dynomat..

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it works but you need a lot, fatmat is my generic brand of choice.

bunbohue

5+ Year Member
does it work to prevent the amount of sound that comes out of your car? like if your standing outside will dynomat (or any others) lessen the effects heard outside?

aznboyrice

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sound Deadening increases SPL in your car, not outside. Yes, sound deadening will reduce some sound coming out of the car but the point of dynamat is to increase SPL IN your car and vibrations.

bunbohue

5+ Year Member
aznboyrice said:
Sound Deadening increases SPL in your car, not outside. Yes, sound deadening will reduce some sound coming out of the car but the point of dynamat is to increase SPL IN your car and vibrations.
oh alright. SPL? is there anyway to reduce the sound coming out also?

aznboyrice

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SPL stands for Sound pressure level. I guess if you use layers of sound deadening material it would reduce the amount of sound coming out of your vehicle. Though your car will weigh a lot more and your music will still leak through your windows.

aznboyrice

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh yeah, i just reread your first post. Does your trunk have a Spoiler or a license plate that rattles? Also try that panel thats above your 6x9's/6.5's in the rear to see if that panel rattles. Generally if you can narrow the rattling down then you won't have to buy a lot of sound deadening material.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
aznboyrice said:
Oh yeah, i just reread your first post. Does your trunk have a Spoiler or a license plate that rattles? Also try that panel thats above your 6x9's/6.5's in the rear to see if that panel rattles. Generally if you can narrow the rattling down then you won't have to buy a lot of sound deadening material.
yeah i heard that you only want to use as little as possible cause that s**t weighs a ton. but i have no personal experience with it.

forcdincivic

Needs More Snail
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cascade is better then dynamat and generally is a little cheaper, you basically pay for the name "dynamat" because they know people will buy it. But it does work pretty well, it wont get rid of every vibration coming from your car, typically if you rattle, you will still rattle unless you get to the problem dynamat wont completely elimnate it, but it does sound a lot better. check your tail lights and your license plate, and your rear speak deck like aznboyrice said

STR_TopGun

ES1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
basicly like everyone said but in a short sentence: Narrow down the sound and place the mat on and around that area and enjoy less rattle!

ryanM

ive heard that the s**t they put under roof shingles is the same stuff as dynomat. like an asphault sheet compound and thats very cheap.

to answer your question, yes it works. but if its just your trunk/license plates that are rattling. put some sticky foam weatherstripping on the back of your license plate and unscrew your trunk bumpstops a little bit, it will stiffen the trunk so it wont have any room to vibrate. this is what i did and it worked just fine.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wannabe, dynamat isn't THAT heavy. if you use a ton, yes, it'll add weight, but have you ever held dynamat? actually touched it? it's not THAT bad.

my rear dash rattles like a son of a b***h now, which is a direct result of too much bass. mwahaha.

the panel that holds my license plate is about the only part that rattles on the outside of the car. ya know, that big black panel in between the tails. i dunno what to do about that. :what:

but anyways, i think it helps a lot. sound is still heard outside, but it's not crazy loud, rattling and annoying. ;)