Does this look like a good buy? 1989 CRX Si!

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
1989 Honda CRX Si on craigslist

The car looks very clean but the high mileage does scare me. If I was to ask him about the car what questions should I ask. I love the CRX but sadly have not done much research on them(I will start doing now)

From I see it's a non-vtec engine that can take a lot of abuse. What kind of mods would it take to get this car moving alil faster?

I want to sell my B18C civic and get something different. I've always loved CRX's, they are what made me fall in love with Hondas <3

Please don't tell me to do more research as I read for about 40 minutes before posting this trying to find out as much as I can. Nothing is better then personal input though.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Rear bumper supports rust out. So do the rear fenders and check the rocker panels too.

The D16A6 can take a real pounding and as long as it isn't burning oil I wouldn't be concerned about mileage.

His price is high though.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Rear bumper supports rust out. So do the rear fenders and check the rocker panels too.

The D16A6 can take a real pounding and as long as it isn't burning oil I wouldn't be concerned about mileage.

His price is high though.

This is what he says in the ad, "The motor consumes some oil, as does any 20+ Honda motor, the transmission is perfect. The car has VERY little rust, as it was garage kept for most of its life."

I'm going to email him now an try to get more pictures. Anything I should ask for specifically?

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Turns out I might know this guy. He thinks he knows me so we'll see how it goes.

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe you can talk the guy down to $2100...

SOHC_Civic_2000

If it was near me I would most def look into it. D series motors are also super cheap (correct me if I'm wrong about that car having a D series)

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If it was near me I would most def look into it. D series motors are also super cheap (correct me if I'm wrong about that car having a D series)
It does, a D15B6 I believe.

Personally, the price is way, way too high. I'd offer him a thousand dollars in cash to take it away immediately and wouldn't go a penny above $1500.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's the D16A6 from what I read. I'm gonna see if he'd like to trade for a rough 95 coupe with a B18C1 swap +cash obviously.

blkej7

hungry for boost
nice buy but i would only give him 1800 give or take a few go look at the car in person and see for yourself post more info .. ask him if it smoke under load??

Tyler91civic

the mileage isnt too bad! my 91 civic si is still running great and it has 280 xxx! dont pay that much for it though!! no more than $2000!!!!

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the mileage isnt too bad! my 91 civic si is still running great and it has 280 xxx! dont pay that much for it though!! no more than $2000!!!!

It looks to be in good condition. I hear great things about the D's with the high mileage, I would love to swap in a low mileage D though and maybe save my way up an learn about boost. I don't think I'll go over $1,700.

He offered for me to come out today and look at it so I might take my camera and snap pictures of it all over an post em up! If I go of course.

stryderd15

honesty i would just get a $1000 crx and drop in a d16z6. then you have more moey to put into the car how you want to. bisimoto makes cams for under $300 for the non vtec d15. unless the car has some real mods or is clean as s**t i wouldnt pay 17 for it but thats my opinion. if your gonna boost i would recomend pistons, rods and a block guard befor you boost it.