DOHC VTEC doesn't really matter?

dnunit

Banned
I was talking to a friend one day and told him that I plan to swap out my current motor in my '94 hatch for a DOHC motor and do the VTEC wiring, etc. but he said that having a DOHC motor with VTEC doesn't really matter and said that a SOHC non-VTEC could perform just as well...but I heard that DOHC has more potential than just a plain SOHC.

What do you guys think? Isn't DOHC VTEC > SOHC non-VTEC? :what:

Hondacore

King of Flat Black
5+ Year Member
DOHC are clearly better...but i <3 my SOHC =) ... maybe im smoking crack... i bet if i stopped I could afford a b series motor...or a K series... hrmm.

xSTELLARx

You ARE NOT Ready
5+ Year Member
i to was once a hardcore d series man. but after building d series motors and still havin Bolt on Bseries motors full off on me. it got old..so now. i made the jump..kinda glad i did

xSTELLARx

You ARE NOT Ready
5+ Year Member
go GSR. OR (my next project) find an HF crx drop a B1 LS in it with a type r tranny and a 75 shot. call it a day

hoopcrazyt8

5+ Year Member
in terms of hondas your friend is a complete and utter moron. It's tru that an sohc engine can perform well, for instance take the sohc porsche engines. in terms of vtec or non vtec. all vtec does is switch to a more aggressive cam at higher revs thus giving you better gas mileage until you hit 4500rpm (or w/e the timing is set to). You can get toda vtec killers and vtec will be nonexistent.

xSTELLARx

You ARE NOT Ready
5+ Year Member
no really. douce ur friend in some terpintine and toss a cig on his ass. then quickl walk away

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
in terms of hondas your friend is a complete and utter moron. It's tru that an sohc engine can perform well, for instance take the sohc porsche engines. in terms of vtec or non vtec. all vtec does is switch to a more aggressive cam at higher revs thus giving you better gas mileage until you hit 4500rpm (or w/e the timing is set to). You can get toda vtec killers and vtec will be nonexistent.
actually the vtec killers make vtec run constantly in a way. the cams make it so your running the aggresive lobes all the time.

JMan8108

SOHC VTEC SON!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
WTF.....By no strech of the imagination is SOHC Non-VTEC better then DOHC VTEC....Even a boosted non-VTEC SOHC pry wont blow the doors off any DOHC VTEC swap. I think a lower end B-Series would get beat by a boosted upper end D-series such as s z6 or y8....but other than that your friend is a stupid f**k.

hoopcrazyt8

5+ Year Member
actually the vtec killers make vtec run constantly in a way. the cams make it so your running the aggresive lobes all the time.
vtec constantly? there's no variable cam, how does that make vtec "run". Not to be anal, but vtec is just the name for hondas variable valve technology, and if there's no variable valve, then there's no vtec. Like you said you're just running the more aggressive timing.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's tru that an sohc engine can perform well, for instance take the sohc porsche engines. .
Which SOHC Porsche?

Like the 944?

Without a turbo the SOHC 944s were no better than KA24 powered 240SXes

The 924? :rolf: :lol: :haha: :Devil: woooooooo! 110 hp Audi 2.0 liter! that's impressive!

Maybe the early 928s...okay 200 hp out of 4.5 liters was pretty impressive in the late 70's I'll give you that one.

The air-cooled 911? Without the turbo it isn't that impressive. The 2.7 SOHC HO6 only put out about 150-170 hp

h22_ek

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dual over head cam vtec over single over head cam non anyday vtec is the s**t