Doing a swap on my 02, need some help.

Lilredrocket

5+ Year Member
So me and a friend of mine are in the process of replacing my old d17(247K miles) with a newer d17. We have the old block out and tranny swapped over. All we have left to do is drop the new engine and plug everything back in. Instead of dropping the engine, we pulled it. We found two spot that would fit a chain blah blah blah. The problem we are having is finding a spot to chain the new engine. On my old block, there was a bolt hole on the top passenger side of the engine where we could put a hook. it was on the head right next to the thermostat housing. The new block not having one has completely screwed the balance up when the engine is on the lift. We are capable of getting it on the lift and in the car, but it has a slight lean preventing us from attaching the mount properly. If anyone has an idea or a good, balanced way to lift the engine, the help would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR Need lift points on a d17 that are balanced.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have. Safe driving!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I use an engine balancing bar when they're at crazy angles like that. It'll let you go damn near vertical to drop a motor in and keep it nice and straight. Get the left and right bolts in first, then reposition the hoist to get the rear bracket if you can't get all of them at once.

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
I just swapped a d17a1 for a d17a2, using an engine hoist. I hope it is a manual, because the automatic is huge and bulky. I attached one chain to a big hole on the last bracket the clutch fluid line is attached to before it attaches to the clutch. It is the big bracket on top of the transmission that is not painted, be careful I bent this bracket on the automatic. I attached the other chain to a hole that stuck out on the back far drivers side where the engine wiring harness clips on before splitting into a knock sensor going to the timing cover and two other connections. Now that I am looking at the engine though, there is an unused bolt hole right above where I put the second chain, that may be where you are supposed to put it. If the engine is still not pretty balanced try making one of the chains, shorter or longer and it should balance it out.

Be careful, I had to take a coil pack or two out, so that the chains would not hit and break them. Also I broke an oil cap with the chains, so watch those chains. I also bent a transmission linkage bolt, but that could have been avoided simply by not leaving those in their holes while dropping the engine/transmission block.

Lilredrocket

5+ Year Member
I use an engine balancing bar when they're at crazy angles like that. It'll let you go damn near vertical to drop a motor in and keep it nice and straight. Get the left and right bolts in first, then reposition the hoist to get the rear bracket if you can't get all of them at once.

This might be ideal. I'll call the parts stored around town and see if they rent them. Thank you for the advice!! Will post the thread soon enough. Thank you!

Lilredrocket

5+ Year Member
I just swapped a d17a1 for a d17a2, using an engine hoist. I hope it is a manual, because the automatic is huge and bulky. I attached one chain to a big hole on the last bracket the clutch fluid line is attached to before it attaches to the clutch. It is the big bracket on top of the transmission that is not painted, be careful I bent this bracket on the automatic. I attached the other chain to a hole that stuck out on the back far drivers side where the engine wiring harness clips on before splitting into a knock sensor going to the timing cover and two other connections. Now that I am looking at the engine though, there is an unused bolt hole right above where I put the second chain, that may be where you are supposed to put it. If the engine is still not pretty balanced try making one of the chains, shorter or longer and it should balance it out.

Be careful, I had to take a coil pack or two out, so that the chains would not hit and break them. Also I broke an oil cap with the chains, so watch those chains. I also bent a transmission linkage bolt, but that could have been avoided simply by not leaving those in their holes while dropping the engine/transmission block.
We almost did the same thing to a coil pack. Just about bent the fuel rails as well.
Thank you for the advice. Will looks into it.