Dome light and Fuel light

MidniteMike

5+ Year Member
Ok, I did a search but found nothing, so I hope this isn't a repost, but I drive a 1996 Honda Civic LX Sedan, with aprox. 178,000 miles on it, the current problems that are bothering me are

1. The light that should come on when i'm low on gas never does, even when i only have a quarter-gallon of gas left in the tank, and the needle is on E, not only is the light not turning on, but the sound is absent as well

2. The dome light that usually comes on when a door is open doe snot light up unless it is on the always on position. I have put the switch on all three settings and only when in the "Always on" position will light it up.

I have checked all fuses, or at least I think I have, any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks!

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
An aftermarket radio is what is causing the dome light problem.

MidniteMike

5+ Year Member
It's just almost creepy with the extreme accuracy and speed you responded, I posted, watched Michael Phelps win his 8th medal of the games and came back and there was an answer with pinpoint accuracy, It's creepy in a good way, I've never seen a forum that is so cooperative

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol ok, well your welcome then! :D
Alot of us have experienced alot of the same problems, so if you have any more questions you can expect some good, quick responses.

And btw, :welcome: You'll like it here.

MidniteMike

5+ Year Member
Alright, well the dome light issue is now fixed, but instead of spamming and making a new post, Any ideas as to why my low fuel indication system isn't working? And does anyone know whether or not the light in the cluster for the low fuel indicator is out whether or not that affects the audible alert?

Last edited:

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i have no idea if mine works either.

i never run it that low. between getting all the s**t sucked up from the bottom of my tank/runing out of fuel, ill just let the mystery continue

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Alright, well the dome light issue is now fixed, but instead of spamming and making a new post, Any ideas as to why my low fuel indication system isn't working? And does anyone know whether or not the light in the cluster for the low fuel indicator is out whether or not that affects the audible alert?
I think it has been asked before with no real answer. Mine doesn't work either and its frustrating. Not because i really need to know when i'm low on gas, but because i KNOW that something in my car isn't working. It just bugs me. :evil:
so bump for answers. i want to know how to fix it.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I know some trims of the civic didn't have a low fuel indicator.

MidniteMike

5+ Year Member
As in the light isn't there or as in it just doesn't have the function to operate? Because on my cluster I can clearly see the outline of one, either way with this information I can at least do some research on it...

Also, there is a new part to the first part of my question, when i removed my after market faceplate and unit and fixed the dome light i realized that there are two green plugs back there, now does that mean that one of the previous owners had the keyless entry system and it was removed with the radio, or do all of them have both of the plugs? I will be doing some research of my own, but any answers from you guys would be great.

Thanks Again,
MidniteMike

MidniteMike

5+ Year Member
After a Google search I saw that the 1996 Honda Civic LX Sedan does come with a low fuel indicator
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1996/honda/civic/lx_sedan/1073/specifications/index.html

However, like anything on the internet it could be false, so the mystery continues...

I do have a favor to ask though, if anyone who has the stock radio still, if you could plug just it in when you know the low fuel indicator when come on and see if it affects it that would be great, but that is asking a lot, so I'm not really expecting it to happen

Thanks yet again,
MidniteMike

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've been driving with my stock radio for about a year and a half and i've checked the bulb and fuses. everything seems to be functioning properly except that stupid light. I've even gone really low on gas to the point where it stalled on me(i was able to turn it back on and get to a gas station). So i'm really confused as to what's wrong with it. :what:

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All 6th Gen LX's come with Low Fuel Warning lights. A really good way to check to see if yours actually works, is get a gas can, fill it up, throw it in the backseat/trunk/whereever in your car, and drive around until you run out of gas, COMPLETELY. When I say completely, I mean until the car dies b/c of no gas. If the light dosent come on, then most likely the bulb is blow in the cluster. Easy fix. If the bulb is good, then its either a bad fuel level sending unit, or a short in the wiring somehwere.

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
fuel light should come on far before you get to the point that your car start spluttering. at a miniumum you should have a gallon of fuel left. so yeah, considering your high mileage, i'd say most likely there is a wiring or sensor problem somewhere.

MidniteMike

5+ Year Member
Hmm, alright, well I'm having a few other problems with my car right now it seems so I don't have the resources to fix/diagnose all the possible causes yet, but I also checked and it seems as if my Trunk-open indicator light doesn't work (thought the trunk compartment courtesy type light does) and my seatbelt indicator doesn't seem to be working either....

I'll check the bulbs when I'm not so worried about a misfiring cylinder, so as soon as that is resolved I'll see what's up with the cluster, and then get back to this

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has helped, commented, and anyone who has has even read this thread, you guys seem to be an awesome forum community, and I'm extremely grateful of you all!!!

jmr828

5+ Year Member
i didnt want to post a new topic because its related to this, but my dome light, for some reason, works for when my doors are ajar. but the on switch does nothing. even if my doors are open, when i switch it to the always on position, it just shuts off. i had my whole interior torn apart, headliner and all, my headliner is actually still out. would it be a short in the wire or is the switch just bad? it worked before i took it out.

landwrx

5+ Year Member
Here is a couple of facts about the 1996-2000 fuel light indicator:
- All Civics above 1996 have a fuel light (I drive a 96 DX, the cheapest model and my light comes on)
- The light does not blink when you start your car, unlike other lights (Check Engine, SRS,...) it is not connected to a computer
-There is no chime or audible noise, only a light will appear
-The light is connected to a thermistor (a sensor that measures temperature), the sensor is at a low part of your tank, when you have fuel in there is cools the thermistor, when the fuel gets below this sensor the light will slowly fade on (since the sensor is slowly warming up)
-A way you can tell your light is working is when you are almost on E, get on an on ramp that banks to the right, the fuel will rush to the left of the tank and the thermistor will light the bulb, when I am on the interstate the light will turn back off.

Some solutions to fixing your fuel light
- Check the fuse, it is under your dashboard by the drivers feet
- Check the bulb, here is a how to on removing the instrument cluster http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=59115