Don't know what to do anymore..

rcpottie

Hey guys i have a 98 civic si with a jdm b16a running off a chipped and tuned p28 with jumper harness. Heres my issue.. So it all started with all my lights pulsing one night never really thought much of it. So the next morning I started my car and had very weak lights all throughout everything. So my first guess was alternator, so I replaced that and well that fixed the problem.. So I thought... I went out started my car the next morning all was normal went back inside got ready for work and I come out to no dash lighting and a barely running car... Every morning it does this to me now until I drive about a block away very slowly and sputtering and backfiring like crazy and suddenly everything comes back on. Very strange behavior if you ask me.. What could be causing this issue?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like a battery with bad cells. Test the battery.

Could be a bad ground as well. Or bad battery and/or starter cables.

rcpottie

Sounds like a battery with bad cells. Test the battery.

Could be a bad ground as well. Or bad battery and/or starter cables.
Thing is the battery was done 2 months ago. All ground wires were done when I had the alternator out too

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A bad alternator can destroy a perfectly good battery. Also have seen batteries that are lemons after a short period of time. Acid and lead cells do some crazy s**t.

chero112

I had the same problem 2 years ago, what I did was change the pulley, belt upgraded alt to a high output alt(160) and changed all grounds and power wires to 2 gage.... haven't had a problem since..... hopes this helps

rcpottie

just to clearify.. you had no issues when the C&T ECU went in? this happened later down the road?
No issues when I had the original ecu then a week later issue after issue so c&t ecu went in and lasted about 2 weeks now I'm having just as many issues

rcpottie

Charging problem..

Hey guys so about 3 weeks ago my alternator sh+t the bed, so I went out and got a remanufactured one, I've put that one in seems to be working alright except for when I first start the car, I'll read about 12 volts before starting and about 11.6 or so after the fact but my car does not charge until I quickly rev and then it will jump to about 14.3 or so. If I don't rev quickly my car will start to die and run very poorly until the battery is completely drained and the car just stalls out..

What could the issue be?

rcpottie

Grounds have been upgraded to 6ga power wire and added 2 more, battery was just replaced yesterday and still having this issue cables are all brand new and points of contact were taken to bare metal and cleaned then hit with TouchUp paint after connecting

How are your grounds and your battery?
^^

Last edited by a moderator:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Grounds have been upgraded to 6ga power wire and added 2 more, battery was just replaced yesterday and still having this issue cables are all brand new and points of contact were taken to bare metal and cleaned then hit with TouchUp paint after connecting

Are you checking voltage between the alternator and battery? How do the positive cables look? Battery terminals? Any oxidation anywhere?

rcpottie

Positive cables all look good no oxidization anywhere all been cleaned and either replaced or repaired/cleaned battery reads the same before and after alternator and in cabin

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Threads merged. There was no need to start another thread on the same concurrent problem. Add to this one if there is any new information.

Like said in the original thread, you need to have the alternator tested. Professionally.

rcpottie

Threads merged. There was no need to start another thread on the same concurrent problem. Add to this one if there is any new information.

Like said in the original thread, you need to have the alternator tested. Professionally.
Alternator was tested today, tested good same with the brand new battery even Honda was puzzled on the issue.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TBH i was hoping i could help you figure this out from everything i have done personally to my mazda b2200. Sadly i havent found the culprit and am still trying to figure out wtf could be causing it.

rcpottie

TBH i was hoping i could help you figure this out from everything i have done personally to my mazda b2200. Sadly i havent found the culprit and am still trying to figure out wtf could be causing it.
Well I had my Honda tuning guy who builds Hondas all the time look over it he's stumped on every issue I have makes no sense to him and the guys at the Honda dealer here have no clue either. At this point I'm tapped out for cash and I'm thinking of just getting rid of it