door locks not working

beavisboots

Hi all. Recently bought a 98 LX 4 door manual trans civic too help save gas for my 100 mile a day drives. The car runs great just like I would expect any Honda too. I have an 03 Acura CLS 6 speed manual for about 5 years now as well. Anyway down to business.

After doing some searching on this forum, I found some fixes to a few small problems the car had but still have one to figure out. When I push the door lock switch, only the drivers door locks/unlocks. The others do not respond. All the power windows do work fine. When I first bought the car, the front speakers didn't work and I though make the wiring was to blame. When I pulled the aftermarket radio, I found that the original am/tm stereo was still hooked up mounted up and down behind the cup holders. I later figured that the wiring was fine and the speakers were just blown. New ones work perfectly fine.

I read that the factory radio was usually stuffed back there to retain the door lock function on 96-98 model civics. Whoever did the install, tapped an additional factory harness with all the wires minus the speaker wires into original harness. The original harness has the adapter that allows the hookup of the aftermarket radio. The additional harness plugs into the original radio just to supply it power.

Is it possible the radio has something that failed causing only the driver door to work? I know there is a control box in the drivers door as well. Anyway to test that? Finally, anyone else ever have this problem and have a possible solution? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long first post so I'll end it here.

Joe

beavisboots

Ok. Did more research. Found a valet button on my factory radio tucked behind the dash. Followed the procedure I found for programming a keyless remote and the the drivers door lock/unlocked like it was supposed to in programming mode but no other doors did. BTW, had no idea I had keyless entry so I got a little sidetracked and ordered a remote for my car. I found a way to remove the door panels so I'll be removing them tomorrow to check the plugs for the door lock actuators to see if I have power. If I find no power, I''m guessing the control module located in the drivers door must be bad. :???:

Joe

zeroarmy27

5+ Year Member
Are you holding the inside handle open when trying to lock the doors? Every Honda I've seen with power locks requires either all doors to be closed, or for the front driver's door handle to be held open. I can take a short video of the reaction in both 5th and 6th gen power locks.

ImThaBean

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK, first. the whole door handle thing zeroarmy said is true but ONLY with the drivers door. The passenger door would not be affected.

As for your issue. there are different thing you can do to trouble shoot.
First things first, check fuses- easiest thing to check/test/replace. if not get a multimeter and a wiring diagram from a haynes and test the switches individually starting with the drivers door. you can then test the individual motors to make sure they work. And lastly, the door lock control module can be an issue. but that can be rare.

Before all that. search some car stereo forums along with honda forums and get that whole dual stereo thing fixed. there should be NO reason you need to run the factory and aftermarket headunit. There is a workaround, always is. It may or may not be related to the lock issue, but there is no reason for that set up and it can lead to headaches in the future.

ImThaBean

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK, first. the whole door handle thing zeroarmy said is true but ONLY with the drivers door. The passenger door(s) would not be affected.

As for your issue. there are different thing you can do to trouble shoot.
First things first, check fuses- easiest thing to check/test/replace. if not get a multimeter and a wiring diagram from a haynes and test the switches individually starting with the drivers door. you can then test the individual motors to make sure they work. And lastly, the door lock control module can be an issue. but that can be rare.

Before all that. search some car stereo forums along with honda forums and get that whole dual stereo thing fixed. there should be NO reason you need to run the factory and aftermarket headunit. There is a workaround, always is. It may or may not be related to the lock issue, but there is no reason for that set up and it can lead to headaches in the future.

beavisboots

The whole two radio thing is nessacary for two reasons. First is the dome light to still function and the second is for the keyless entry system. I found a post where someone had figured out a way to jump the pins on the connector to allow the dome light to still function.

After all the posts I've read, I am not positive if the keyless function is actually in the factory radio or if it is just the programming feature thats in the radio. There is a small thin button on the right side of the radio called the valet button. It is used in programming the keyless remotes. I was able to get the programming feature to respond. I ordered a keyfob and when it arrives I'm going to attempt to program it.

I still need to pull the door panels off and check the connections to the lock actuators to see if they have power. I'll get to it next week. I'm taking a trip to Boston for the long 4th of July weekend. I'll post my results when I get back.

Joe

PS-- Thanks for the responses!!