Door Panel Paint

dnxracer

5+ Year Member
Okay i bought some 96 cent paint from walmart and painted my door panels 3 weeks ago andthey stayed all sticky and weird feelin so im wonderin if anyone knows why they did that and what paint i should use i got alot of the paint off them with paint thinner but any help

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dont paint your damn door panels , the paint was mad at you

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay i bought some 96 cent paint from walmart and painted my door panels 3 weeks ago andthey stayed all sticky and weird feelin so im wonderin if anyone knows why they did that and what paint i should use i got alot of the paint off them with paint thinner but any help
Two problems. Problem one, you used paint, you need to use dye. Problem two, you obviously are trying to do this cheap since you went with a $0.96 product, so I'm going to assume you don't want to spend the money to do this correctly.

dnxracer

5+ Year Member
okay dye?? where the hell you get that and the 96 cent is what my friend used on his infiniti g35 and worked so thats why i used it

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
okay dye?? where the hell you get that and the 96 cent is what my friend used on his infiniti g35 and worked so thats why i used it
cheap paint only works on nice cars...

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
why would freind paint the doors on a g35, they are nice as f**k and leather

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
$.96 spray paint is the new JDM!!!!!! Tell your friends. Ok dude look you asked for advice and you got it don't get pissy. My advice is don't paint your door panels. Mint door panels are hard to come across and usually pricey new ones are around 300-350$ if they are that beat up and you want them to be somewhat presentable use plastic paint as your primer and then use vinyl paint over it cause it's flexable and almost a flat feeling. I have my door panels painted and I regret it and I saved myself cause I needed new doors and the doors I bought came with panels in super mint condition. Your friend in the G is a absolute fool. A civic door panel from 1999 is around 300 like I said so imagine what he just "riced" up. Unless he is the michealangelo of rattle cans then good for him . Do do it.

dnxracer

5+ Year Member
thanks 4 the help frankmoocivici so will the krylon platic spray paint work and then get the vinyl paint from autpzone

ej_EXtasy

Big Dave
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did you let them dry at all? Or was the ac broken when you sprayed them at the redlight? Do you not value your car at all?

dnxracer

5+ Year Member
ya i let them dry for like 5 days and before i painted them i cleaned them all off with rubbin alcohol and they like stayed sticky

Lopez619

Hector
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
even if you get the right paint on there you will hate yourself for doing it later on

kevoSi

5+ Year Member
They make interior paint I believe, but don't take my word for it.
And I wouldn't paint the whole door panel, maybe just the trays and door handle?
That was my plan for my hatch, just don't cheap out.
btw, my console is already white, and it looks better than the chipped up black.

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
okay, this is what i did and it worked out very well, i didnt do the whole panels but i did a decent amount. it cost me about $40

clean parts with soap and dry them
sand the parts with some sand paper (really fine grit), then whipe off dust
prime a couple coats
paint coats with "krylon for plastic" spray paint
clear coat a couple coats to keep it protected and make it look nice
(the more time you leave between coats the better itll turn out)
do in a well ventilated area

do what you want with your car, it is YOUR car so how it looks is up to you.
for any other painting you want to do check this out:

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=84194

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay, so I used Krylon Fusion, Paint made for plastics, I used it on my whole interior about 6 yrs ago, I wanted all black, hate the stock gray color. But that is me, anyways I cleaned my panels with a good Paint cleaning product that removes Waxes/Chemicals or you can also use soapy water and rinse well. Then I used a Tach Cloth however you spell it, anyways, get it for a buck at any place that sells body work materials and paint. Gets all the fine dust off anytime you paint ANYTHING use that cloth. Then just paint the panels slowly and evenly, light coats until you get 2-3 coats on, let dry and it shouldn't be tacky, it will look good. I have only had to touch up places that my feet scratched and such. Other than that still like new! Good Luck