Double-Wishbone vs Mcpherson Suspension

datbumper

I'm stuck. I am looking to buy my first Civic and have narrowed it down to two options: a 5th gen or a 6th gen. I like the looks of the 6th gen, but I have heard the 5th gen's double-wishbone suspension is much better. I will be using the car primarily to go to school, but I am also looking to mod it a little (maybe add a b18 engine later on, but gonna keep it pretty clean). Now, I like the look of the 6th gen's a little better, not really fond of the squinty looking headlights on the EG's. Is the double-wishbone suspension really a huge factor in deciding which car to get? Also, can you explain how it's better/worse and maybe even post some pics? Thanks!

504scene

ok maybe im stupid but.....i thought the were the same suspension setup seeing as my last car was a 95ex............pretty much everything was swappable between it andmy 98.....

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First off, both 5 gens (commonly referred to as EGs) and 6th gens (commonly referred to as Eks) have a double wishbone front suspension with some parts being interchangeable. They both have a trailing arm based rear suspension with the whole assembly being interchangeable. The 7th gen Civics are the first of modern day Civics to adopt the McPherson strut suspension.

If you are just going to daily drive the car, the suspension type really does not matter. However, if you were planning to race the car in an event like autocross or attend track days, then double wishbone would be highly favorable.

Double wishbone suspension (image below) is derived from racing. It consists of an upper and lower control arm, sometimes referred to as "A-arms" or "wishbones." It has more favorable camber effects under cornering loads and is more easily optimized for high performance applications.

McPherson strut suspension (image below) was adopted by Honda for two primary reasons; first is the cost, second is the ease of manufacturing. These two go hand in hand and are a result of the much simpler design which integrates the shock/spring assembly into the steering knuckle itself. This ease of manufacturing and reduced cost come at the expense of less favorably geometry, that doesn't react as kindly as double wishbone to performance tuning.

TL;DR Get a 6th gen if you like the looks, because they have double wishbone front suspension, just like the 5th gen.

504scene

first off, both 5 gens (commonly referred to as egs) and 6th gens (commonly referred to as eks) have a double wishbone front suspension with some parts being interchangeable. They both have a trailing arm based rear suspension with the whole assembly being interchangeable. The 7th gen civics are the first of modern day civics to adopt the mcpherson strut suspension.

If you are just going to daily drive the car, the suspension type really does not matter. However, if you were planning to race the car in an event like autocross or attend track days, then double wishbone would be highly favorable.

Double wishbone suspension (image below) is derived from racing. It consists of an upper and lower control arm, sometimes referred to as "a-arms" or "wishbones." it has more favorable camber effects under cornering loads and is more easily optimized for high performance applications.

mcpherson strut suspension (image below) was adopted by honda for two primary reasons; first is the cost, second is the ease of manufacturing. These two go hand in hand and are a result of the much simpler design which integrates the shock/spring assembly into the steering knuckle itself. This ease of manufacturing and reduced cost come at the expense of less favorably geometry, that doesn't react as kindly as double wishbone to performance tuning.

tl;dr get a 6th gen if you like the looks, because they have double wishbone front suspension, just like the 5th gen.

ha ha so im not stupid after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah if this just your daily driver, just go with which car you like better. I have a '95 EX coupe and a '99 EX coupe. I personally like the '95 all around more than the '99. Feels like a smaller car to me, the 6th gens got too bulky inside and out.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also if you go with a 6th gen know that there are differences in the front end between 96-98 and 99-00 so pick the body style you like or you will end up wanting a front end conversion sooner or later