Dragging sound but nothing is on the Ground!

teevee247

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, on my way to school I started hearing this dragging sound, looked under my car fast and there was nothing dragging on the ground, and i didnt see anything quickly that was hitting anything, when i slowed down, the sound slowed down, sped up, it sped up, when i stopped the sound stopped... anyone have any ideas?

89hatchrider

the shadow conspiracy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
have any clue about where its comming from?

edog728

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You know that happened to me last year. Heard something draggin' underneith my car but when I went to look at it, there was nothin' there. The sound just went away too. Its been a year and I've never heard it again...

teevee247

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it sounds like its coming from more towards the back... but i only got to listen to it for like a minute, it started real close to school and I had to get to class... at noon i'll prolly go for a little drive with a friend and we'll try to figure out where it is coming from... at first I thought it was my exhaust dragging on the ground, the sound was quite similar, but my exhaust is very secure... so i dont know... im pissed, don't have the money right now to fix anything on the car... gonna have to call my parents for a little loan :(

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your brakes. The friction material may have come off the backing and may be making constant contact with the drum/rotor. It will also give you a chance to check the bearings...that's all I got for now.

teevee247

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well rear brakes and bearing would be fine... as long as they can last 300kms... friday im getting my front brakes replaced up home... i'll get them to check out my rear brakes at the same time... bearings I know I can drive on them for a little bit, they'll just have to last 300kms... hehe... thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it... i'm gonna go for a drive at noonish and i'll try and get more information about the problem...

teevee247

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well... the sound is definitely coming from the driver's side in the rear... at low speeds it sounds ilke a piece of metal or somet other hard material is loose and occasionally dragging or hitting another hard surface... at high speeds it almost completely goes away, you can still hear it but it sounds like the two pieces are just barely touching and since the wheel is turning fast it sounds ilke the are just in constant rubbing...

So this really makes me think it has something to do with the rear brakes... when i get home we are going to take off the wheels and take a good look at the brakes... and see if we can pinpoint the problem..

And oh yeah, we checked, there is nothing loose or hanging around the wheels that we can see

codyj86

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do you drive on gravel? cuz that happend to me but it was a small rock in my drum (actually between the drum and something else. i could see mine so i just knocked it out. just a thought

teevee247

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That thought crossed my mind too... i'll get a better picture this evening when i take it apart... someone also mentioned that maybe the handbrake could be sticking?

teevee247

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And dirt or rocks could very well be a possibility... its been raining quite a bit on and off... so there is mud and dirt all over the roads everywhere...

teevee247

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well... took a much closer look at it just now... two friends looked at it too... and we all think its coming from the drum brakes in the back... I just hope it is the drum in the back and i can drive 300kms on it to get home where im replacing all the brakes on friday... leaving tomorrow evening to go home...

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
good luck on the drive.

teevee247

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just out of curiosity... bad drum brakes or bad wheel bearing, should i be able to drive about 300kms without anything going wrong?

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
teevee247 said:
Just out of curiosity... bad drum brakes or bad wheel bearing, should i be able to drive about 300kms without anything going wrong?
Could you convert that to miles?

How long has it been happening?

Before mine gave way, I drove like that for about 3 months. It got louder, and louder to a point where i thought the brake shoe on the drum cracked. It sounded like a "whomp, whomp, whomp, whomp, whomp,...you get the point but it can also sound different on different cars too.

I was in your same shoes once. When I jacked up the car, I could literally move the wheel by a couple degrees, up, down, left, right.

Right then and there, I had the wheel bearings replaced with a new set.

Im pretty sure that its your wheel bearing. Post up what it is when you find out.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh yeah, you are up in the Salty road white north. No telling what's corroded out

teevee247

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah... gotta love the salt :(

I jacked up the car and nothing it wasnt moving at all, the assembly felt real solid, didnt wanna take the drum apart though. So it may not be the bearing. It only started this morning... 300 kms is about 180 miles... I should know Friday for sure what the problem is... i'll let you guys know what happens.

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
codyj86 said:
do you drive on gravel? cuz that happend to me but it was a small rock in my drum (actually between the drum and something else. i could see mine so i just knocked it out. just a thought
that happened to me in the front and a rock got caught in the disc somewhere and i cant find it. tothis day when i break i get that ear piercing screaming noise!

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
teevee247 said:
Yeah... gotta love the salt :(

I jacked up the car and nothing it wasnt moving at all, the assembly felt real solid, didnt wanna take the drum apart though. So it may not be the bearing. It only started this morning... 300 kms is about 180 miles... I should know Friday for sure what the problem is... i'll let you guys know what happens.

One more try...

Take the wheel off on the side that is making noise. Sping the drum and listen.. it should be smooth and should spin at a controlled rate. If it makes a wierd noise, then that might be it... I have no other thoughts.

Do this if the car is still jacked up...

teevee247

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmmm... i could jack it up again... haha... tried spinning it... but the handbrake was on :P i guess i shoulda put it off... oh well... dont really have time right now... going out soon and then i have school in the morning and im going hmoe int he evening
so i'll find out friday for sure... or i'll be stranded ont he side of the highway... either way... haha