Driver side door will not open.

xquesiano

Air Head
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Car: 1999 honda civic soupe ex with keyless entry. Stock headunit if that matters.

Problem: Driver side door will not unlock/open.

Symptoms: Well, as i said, my driver side door will not open. I tried with they keyless entry like i always do, and it would not unlock, the passenger side didn't either. I tried with the key, and it would not unlock. The key did work on the passenger side though, sounding off the alarm. I climbed in, and tried to unlock the driver side from the inside, it did not work. The lock button or lever or whatever (which is on both the driver and passenger door) will not go into unlock position unless you force it, even if you do force it, it will not stay in unlock position or unlock the car. The other unlock flip (the one which is only on the driver side and is silver) would not work either. I tried to force it into unlock position but i never heard it unlock... the door handle on the inside did not open either (due to the car being locked obviosly). It is not frozen. Is there a chance that the mecanism just broke? Or is somehow stuck? It has worked with no problems since i've had the car (2003). Is there a chance someone tried to break into my car and broke the mecanism somehow? (there were no signs of an attempted break in/nothing missing)

What is going on here? how can i fix it? links to solutions?

K2_civic

Fo-drizzle!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Whats the temp?

My locks freeze all the time, especially my driver side

How do you know its not frozen? I mean if its parked inside, then I'll believe you

xquesiano

Air Head
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Whats the temp?

My locks freeze all the time, especially my driver side

How do you know its not frozen? I mean if its parked inside, then I'll believe you
i guess i don't know it is not frozen, i am assuming it is not. temperature right now is 19. The coldest it got last night was around the same, even higher. The reason i believe it did not freexe is because i have parked it in bellow 0 weather and it has been fine, and many times.

it seams like the loking mecanism is jammed, maybe broke. You know how on the driver side you have that lock/unlock silver flip style switch? that one does nothing... and you know how you have another lock/unlock flip which is the interior platic color, both on the driver and passenger side? the driver side won't go into the unlock position. i can force it into the position but it won't actually unlock it, you can't hear a click or anything.

K2_civic

Fo-drizzle!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thats exactly what mine does when it freezes, I've even bent the key trying to unlock it

happens in my brothers 95 integra, my cousins 92 integra, and my 00 civic, all on the driver side

just let it warm up, 19F is definitely enough to freeze it, I always crawl in the passenger side, sucks

xquesiano

Air Head
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats exactly what mine does when it freezes, I've even bent the key trying to unlock it

happens in my brothers 95 integra, my cousins 92 integra, and my 00 civic, all on the driver side

just let it warm up, 19F is definitely enough to freeze it, I always crawl in the passenger side, sucks
well you know, i hope it is that then and not something much worse. I went to work and tried it againa nd it did not work though, i also can't understand why it has bever done it before though, it would make sense if it had done it before, other days when it was a lot colder...

xquesiano

Air Head
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
okay so you were right...went on my lunch break and it opened as if nothing had ever happened... now i feel stooopid.

K2_civic

Fo-drizzle!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No problem man, its something you'll get used too, I haven't tried to fix it, I am sure some de-freezer in the lock and greasing the joints might help, but I just know that if there is frost on my car, I better get in the passenger side and let it warm up for at least 15min