driveshaft installation 93 civic

stomper

What is the best way to seat the driveshaft inner cv joint into the differential? I'm doing it laying on my back and cannot seem to get much leverage!

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Get a dead blow hammer and tap the inner piece of the CV axle while rotating it slightly. Also hold the shaft and push it inwards while rotating it and tapping it with the hammer.

stomper

Thank you for this information! I'll have to see if I can locate one to use. All my years of working on my own vehicles and I don't have one in my garage??

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
I don't even use a hammer. The CV joints have enough play that you can just grab the shaft and "hammer" the inner joint in. Make sure the shaft of the inner shaft is level with the dif.

stomper

d16racer88!
What weight hammer will work, and what price range? I see they vary from$10.00 to $75.00?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
depends on how hard you hit it, I picked up a 47oz (or 45oz cant remeber) for like 15 bucks at home depot

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I can't recall even ever using a hammer to do this?? Hmmm.. Everything lined up correctly and cleaned up? No rust or anything like that?

stomper

I believe all is lined up. I ran my finger on the inside to ensure no burrs, or anything. It's a puzzle, I believe I did this years ago and don't recall this problem? It seems to be getting in to where the o-ring makes contact. It engages with the differential, but getting it to seated, seams to be a problem?
Thanks!
After further research I believe I have gotten the wrong O-ring clip, it doesn't compress small enough to pass thru the spline! I'll keep everyone posted!

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
The clip could be the issue, but the trick is to just get real frustrated with the axle and keep wiggling and hammering until it goes in. ;)

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The clip could be the issue, but the trick is to just get real frustrated with the axle and keep wiggling and hammering until it goes in. ;)
Thats what i always do...

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A hammer for driveshafts....oh man.

stomper

I would like to thank everyone for there time on this issue!!
It was the spring clip! After several attempts at hammering it, I dug the original 0-ring out of the iron pile, put it on, and the axlel slid right in and seated?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As it should... Ive had to tap them out with a hammer but if everything is lined up right they should go righy in!

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yup. and when I had to use hammer, I just used a deadblow hammer. plastic outside, so won't mar anything, and it's light enough that can't really use too much force. all it really needed was a good tap anyway