Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I never downshift. But other modded cars do downshift when they drive by me :/

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
best way to learn...go DRIVE

stop the parking lot stuff...theres no traffic, no stoplights, no merging....u're not getting the real deal

this is my first 5 speed, and i just got in it, was determined i was going to learn how to drive, and i went to town and just drove.

i still stall out at stop lights sometimes, but its not that big of a deal. just re-start the car, and continue...and laugh it off...it happens...

TJ92Civic

WeRd
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey another tip, when you shift into reverse, put the car into 1st or second before you shift into reverse, there is no synchro for reverse, so sometimes it will grind if you don't do that. Figured I would throw that out there since you said you were new to standards...

tim

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
and the biggest fear that i had for a while was downshifting from 5th...

i was always scared i might accidentally drop it into R....bad thing...

but i believe there is a safety on our trannys that wont allow it in reverse over a certain MPH....correct?

TJ92Civic

WeRd
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TippinOver said:

but i believe there is a safety on our trannys that wont allow it in reverse over a certain MPH....correct?
You would have to try REAAAAAAAAAAALY hard to get it into reverse from 5th. I really don't see how anyone could accidently do it unless they were a complete idiot. So don't worry about doin that lol.

tim

Team2000

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TippinOver said:

Well... doubt that would happen as at first you would hear some major grinding, also you should have some "gates" syncros that kinda make that not work so well.... I mean you would have to FORCE it to get into reverse and going at a speed faster then 0KM/H your going to grind something awfull first.

imbcruz

ItsMeBraulio!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There no way the tranny would let you put it in Rev.. and you don't have to rev up to downshift that's just if your racing and s**t you don't really have to match up the Rpm with your gears let the car do it it's self.. just remember down shift a gear at a time untill you get used to it.

Team2000

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
imbcruz said:
There no way the tranny would let you put it in Rev.. and you don't have to rev up to downshift that's just if your racing and s**t you don't really have to match up the Rpm with your gears let the car do it it's self.. just remember down shift a gear at a time untill you get used to it.
^ The difference between driving ... and driving properly ;)

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i downshift all the time i hate using my brakes all the time. there was one time i was on a freeway that was in a traffic jam and was heading downhill. i just used my engine to keep my speed down. a cop behind me that i didnt realize was there, got on his megaphone and told me to use my brakes. then he smiled at me and sped off on the shoulder. i must say that was the best experience ive ever had with the police lol

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did you honk him and tell him to mind his own business as he drive by you?

seabeeunit87

5+ Year Member
so when you downshift from say 5th gear to 4th u dont nead to press the brakes or what? just keap my foot on the gas and then clutch and downshift correct?? or no?

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
go find some steep country hills, roads, and go drive them. Stop, go, and just learn.

edit: when down shifting you can tap the gas to rev match, but it's not nessary. Just push in the clutch put it into 4th and let the clutch out. Don't really romp on the gas either.

TJ92Civic

WeRd
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
seabeeunit87 said:
so when you downshift from say 5th gear to 4th u dont nead to press the brakes or what? just keap my foot on the gas and then clutch and downshift correct?? or no?
You only need the brakes when stopping, or slowing down really fast...

2QCK4U2

Hate To Lose
5+ Year Member
Only 1 Thing 2 Know

If you are on a hill and you roll into the guy behind-----The accident is his fault, not yours... It is called assured clear distance. Don't worry about the other guy just focus on taking off. Screw down shifting for now. You need to crawl before you can run. You will be happy with a 5spd though once it becomes 2nd nature. Then you can progres to double clutching and speed shifting without using the clutch. =)

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ how do you double clutch and speed shifting without clutching..?

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, this is a subject that i feel kind of anal about, now as always i could be totally wrong here, so feel free to correct me.

Double clutching has absolutely zero PERFORMANCE value in a modern car. The only purpose is to A) save wear & tear on your tranny/clutch. B) have a smoother shift. But it does not make your car any faster.

Most people hear the fast and furious quote by Vin Diesel where he says "still granny shiftin and not double clutchin like ya should" and the whole crowd laughs... and the viewer thinks "oh what is this double clutching thing?? I better learn it" But as we all should know, that movie is the least credible source of technical info on the planet.

To understand the point of double clutching, you need to understand how it works. Say you are driving in first gear at 8000 rpms.. If you push in the clutch, the revs fall, but your transmission carries about 8000 rpm's worth of inertia. In a car with bad sychros, if you try and just shift into the next gear, you are greeted by a nasty CRUNCH of gears. So, by releasing the clutch in neutral and allowing the transmission speed to match the engine speed, THEN shifting into the next gear, the gears mesh properly. However, the whole point of the engineers designing synchros is to do the meshing for us, and it takes alot less time. So why bother?

Some may argue that it is good for racing because its allows smoother downshifts and thus it doesnt cause a change in your center of gravity (for instance: while in a turn) If you just decide to drop in to the next lowest gear and let the clutch out while in a turn, your car's weight will shift forward and off of the rear wheels, which could potentially cause your rear end to hop out (i believe this is the only ACTUAL way to drift a FF car if you would dare to try). Now, all of that makes sense, but you could accomplish the same thing in less time, and more easily, by just good ol' rev matching.

As for shifting without any clutch action, i think that is probably pointless.. Puts alot of strain on transmission parts.

Team2000

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I double clutch when downshifting... never if I am racing, and seldom double cluth when daily driving... depends on my mood. but I always double clutch when down shifting.

TJ92Civic

WeRd
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I never double clutch, and never have... My friend does that with the big rig though...

tim

bcivichb

Driving South
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TippinOver said:

Even when your car isnt running try putting it directly from 5th to reverse and it wont go. you have to go to neutral first.

CivicKid95

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go practice. I first drove manual when my dad took me to test drive a car. I was like "u expect me to do this?!?". needless to say i returned the poor guys car with at least an eigth of the tread gone. it was super fun though (95 240sx)