Drum brake/emergency brake question

98ej7HX

Poor College Kid
Hey guys what's up. So tonight I went to my girlfriends house, and her driveway was just a complete sheet of ice. I went to pull out got stuck, spent about 15 minutes trying to get out, and in the end, ended up getting out by pouring cat litter on the ice and having her sit on the hood lol. Anyway, in the heat of the moment I was aggravated because we were going to be late so as I was getting out of the car I pulled the ebrake pretty hard (harder than usual, not violently). After we got out, I drove to where we were going, stayed there for about 1.5 hours, came out, went to drive away and noticed my right rear tire wasn't spinning, just dragging on the ground. Pulled over, looked at it and decided there wasn't anything I could do right there, so I pulled back out on the pavement. I was going pretty slow, and the tire was spinning but it make a squeal with every rotation (sounds likes stuck drum brakes do) as I sped up, the noise went away, and maybe 10-15 seconds later, the resistance was completely gone, even if i slowed to a stop again. But, now my ebrake doesn't work at all, it has no stopping power. So my question is, did I manage to wear down the rear brakes so much that they don't work at all and I can't notice because 80% of braking power is the front wheels, or did they just become unstuck and it's nothing to worry about, except fixing my e-brake. Thanks for the help, sorry for such a long story!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It could be both really. Pull the drums and check them out.

And im glad im not the only one that likes fat chicks! They come in handy dont they?

minja lover

del slo
5+ Year Member
When I let my car sit in Chicago for a month, the rear driver side wheel got stuck. I hit the drum with a hammer and it went back to normal and I haven't had an issues since.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They will freeze in the winter with the e brake pulled...

asJulius

Hey guys, I have a problem with my emergency brake, and maybe you could help me out. The problem is, that when I pull my handbrake handle, the brake shoe (the one, that is closer to the rear of the car) moves a little bit towards outside the opened drum, instead of moving to the rear of the vehicle. Same thing on both sides. I think I should mention that the handbrake handle pulls quite hard, it's really not loose. Can this be caused by damaged wheel cylinders? I noticed that brake shoes worn out not evenly. The one, that is closer to the front of the car, has less material, than the other one (same on both sides).

Your advices? At what should I take a look, what should I replace, any tips are appreciated

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey guys, I have a problem with my emergency brake, and maybe you could help me out. The problem is, that when I pull my handbrake handle, the brake shoe (the one, that is closer to the rear of the car) moves a little bit towards outside the opened drum, instead of moving to the rear of the vehicle. Same thing on both sides. I think I should mention that the handbrake handle pulls quite hard, it's really not loose. Can this be caused by damaged wheel cylinders? I noticed that brake shoes worn out not evenly. The one, that is closer to the front of the car, has less material, than the other one (same on both sides).

Your advices? At what should I take a look, what should I replace, any tips are appreciated
6+ month old post. Cool dude. Re-post in your own thread, don't bump an old one.

RonJ

Banned
Maybe the brake shoes are installed incorrectly. Post some really nice pictures for everybody.

nadnerb1996

hey guys im new too the forum. right now im driving a 97 civic cx. im kind of having the same problem. my car got stuck infront of my house of two days due too the snow.(I live in Canada and we got 27cm of snow) after I got her out she was driving fine. I then went outr for a bit and she was parked in a parking lot for about 2 hours. the weather was about -37 that night. im a new driver btw. I made the dumb mistake of having my e-brake on for those 2 hours. when driving home I felt a tugging from my rear wheel. I soon found out that my passenger side rear wheel was not spinning at all. at the moment its sitting across the city in a parking lot. I think that my brake line is frozen. do you guys have any suggestions for me too get her home? I do not want to spend over 150 on a tow truck.

please help im miss driving my civic