Dry Ice=Dent Repair

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Well after looking over my car today I realize I have about 9-12 smaller dents that I would like taken care of. Plus my brother put 2 nice sized one's on my car today. I was looking on google for cheap and easy ways to repair them and came across this;

http://www.wisebread.com/remove-car-dents-quickly-and-cheaply

This really intrigued me as I have access to dry ice and can get a practice fender to try on for cheap. Maybe I'll give it a try over my Thanksgiving break. Plus I have a propane tank heater in my garage so I won't have to worry about it being too cold in there.

Any one ever try this?

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I tried the trick of turning a can of air upside down so it freezes the surface then heating it up, or maybe it was the other way around. Either way I wasted a good can of air for nothing. I'm curious to see how your task turns out. Post before and after pics when you get all done.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I mean the only cost to me would be the dry ice and the gas to drive about 2 miles to the junk yard. I have nothing better to do while on break.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
By all means, try it out.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Same reason you felt the need to post that comment maybe? Lol

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hmm, i have some door dings from crazy f**kin cabbies... wonder if the Air sprayer method would work... hmmm.... Call No Dents or buy a can of air... HEY DUDE, WANNA HURRY THIS THING UP>? Id like to get the dings out of my door.

andrew256

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
then why did you feel the need to make a thread about it..
Dude... You just got back from being banned for stuff like this.

As for using heat/cool to fix dents, yes it can be done. Sometimes (usually on a roof or hood) you have dents that pop back and forth while you're trying to work with them This is caused by the energy that is stored in the stretched or expanded metal. The way to shrink metal you're talking about is to heat the area until red hot, then quench the metal with a soaking wet rag. Hammer and dolly back into shape, smooth out with body filler, paint.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The reason I posted this was to see if anyone else tried this successfully....which is clearly stated in the last sentence of my first post.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Let us know how easy it was, and if it worked.

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've read a lot of info on the forums about this and haven't found anyone that could
actually get it to work. I think it's a hoax.
If you get any results, please let us know.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Didnt someone post that he was going to try this last night?
It probably didnt work and he deleted his post.... I see this thread dying soon!

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It worked, but not 100%. I got a fender for free that was in good condition, took a baseball and put a nice dent in it. Didn't feel like going to the store so I used compressed air and a lighter. It took out the dent for the most part but there was still a small part that wouldn't come out. I ran out of air, maybe I will try it again over Christmas break.

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
interesting techniques lol. i've got a small noticable dent on one of my fenders that i've always wnated to pop out just never knew any DIY methods.
i may try this sometime

-Luke

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It worked, but not 100%. I got a fender for free that was in good condition, took a baseball and put a nice dent in it. Didn't feel like going to the store so I used compressed air and a lighter. It took out the dent for the most part but there was still a small part that wouldn't come out. I ran out of air, maybe I will try it again over Christmas break.
Did u take any pics??

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Being a body guy, painting/prepping for a living, i would suggest just paying a Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) company to do things like this.

These sound like ways to MAYBE fix the dent, but ruin your paint.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How much does that cost nowadays... last i checked, it was 50 per panel. (for those of you that dont know what that means, if u have 5 dings on a fender, its the same price whether its 5 or 1, u pay for the fender) Anyways... i have a few dings i need to take care of. Other than that, people always compliment me on my ride, but are quick to point out the dings in the door.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Being a body guy, painting/prepping for a living, i would suggest just paying a Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) company to do things like this.

These sound like ways to MAYBE fix the dent, but ruin your paint.
Yeah I have a great hook up on body work, I was just bored over Thanksgiving break. There is actually this guy that travels around my area repairing dents. He does an unbelievable job, and will come right to your house to fix the dents. He basically charges a flat hourly rate and does as many dents as he can get done in an hour. Either he can pick which one's he does or you can mark them. My friend had about 6 decent sized dents taken out for $80, not too bad at all.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I honestly do not know the retail rates on PDR work.

I had my whole civic done (which was in excess of 20 small dings, and probably 5-10 larger ones) for $50 and a 12 pack, but i know the PDR guy that comes to our shop pretty well so he hooks me up.