DSLR camera's

can87

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm afraid the d40 might seem too complex for my first camera.
Don't be afraid of this. Because of being entry-level units (Rebel series, D50/D40/D70, Sony A100, Pentax K100D, etc.), they are very user-friendly.

I bought a Canon 400D/Rebel XTi 2 weeks ago and I'm really pleased about it. I'd recommend you to go with a Canon but you best go to the nearest shop and see the devices personally. Use them, take test shots, surf thru menus, etc. Then buy the camera you really liked.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah..gotta go to ur shop and look at them both..i did that too, many many times lol.

and ferio..thats not a fair comparison. D50 - 6.1mp XTI = 10.1 compare the xti shots with a 10.2mp D40x and see whos is more clear.

i still dont know what the point of shooting in RAW is..i dont even know how to look at the pic on my comp lol

ferio-moreno

PS Veteran
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
then lets compare the 20d to the d50 ..... still sharper
and lets compare the Xti to the d40x ...... still sharper

dpreview has some samples as well if you guys are interested..

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
then lets compare the 20d to the d50 ..... still sharper
and lets compare the Xti to the d40x ...... still sharper

dpreview has some samples as well if you guys are interested..
Dpreview: Nikon's approach to high ISO noise on the D40X is pretty much the same as ever, mostly chroma noise reduction with very little luminance noise reduction. This leads to a lack of digital-looking chroma blobs while maintaining as much detail as possible (little luminance smearing here). Obviously this does mean that 'flat areas' can look noisier than the competition but this noise at least has a film-like grain rather than digital artifacts. Compared to the other cameras there's very little to choose although the EOS 400D does maintain more detail at ISO 1600 than the Nikon or Olympus.

So the only time the Canon is better is at a point where you're desperate for light...

They're very close competition, it's basically a choice of which one feels better in your hand.

I wouldn't talk about the 20D or the D50 since they're both discontinued cameras.

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ok so as im shopping around stores to get the feel of some cameras and gather all the information up all at once while getting as much as i can, i've been told by a few stores that the Sony Alpha a100k is one of the better choices for me considering im not trying to shoot pro here.

i don't mind dropping the cash down for these cameras cause its something i've wanted for quit some time and really want the best for my personal use. I was told that if i wanted the d40x i could upgrade the lens that the sony alpha ALREADY has... and by buying this lense, it would probably bring me up to the 1k mark which is too much :lol: my price limit has already been raised by 300 or so and am now looking to spend NO MORE then $900 :what:

i was just a little sketchy about this because i haven't heard anything big about sony cameras..usually the talk is all about nikon and canons you know? when talking to these guys i feel that there just trying to get me to buy the camera that makes them the biggest comission lol

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sony bought Konica/Minolta a couple years back, so you have the entire library of Minolta lenses at your disposal.

As for the camera I have no personal experience with it, I've only seen one in use and that was by an amateur shooter who wasn't chimping like most would be with great shots.

If they want you to buy it so bad they should allow you to try it first.

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Sony bought Konica/Minolta a couple years back, so you have the entire library of Minolta lenses at your disposal.

As for the camera I have no personal experience with it, I've only seen one in use and that was by an amateur shooter who wasn't chimping like most would be with great shots.

If they want you to buy it so bad they should allow you to try it first.
as in take it home with me for a few days lol? or shoot a few shots throughout the store?

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
as in take it home with me for a few days lol? or shoot a few shots throughout the store?
shoot around the store. Or maybe rent on a discount for a day so you can really dig into it.

PS> Nikon uses Sony sensors in their new cameras. The Nikon D300 and Sony A700 have the same 12mp sensor.

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
but what exactly am i getting myself into here, i really wasnt planning on getting a sony because reviews map out usually always nikon and canon on the top two. I feel I should stick with the nikon because of the quality and what not and I'll eventually want to upgrade lenses, on the other hand the sony has the upgraded lense already on it.