Dyno Dissapointment

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So had some dyno disappointment yesterday. Only made 163hp 122tq (that's like 10hp over a stock GSR) because the tuner didn't want to tune my car any higher without a better fuel pump. Said it was running way lean and I need to get a walbro and come back. I currently have a walbro 190lph in the garage that I totally forgot to install, but from what I've been reading most people use the 255lph, do you guys think that the 190 will be enough? From what I've found a stock GSR/ITR fuel pump flows at 131lhp where as my shitty d series makes 70lph so I definitely knew I should upgrade just forgot I had it sitting in the box. Is a 190 suitable for my build though

GSR:
Skunk2 Stage 1 Cams
USDM Type R pistons
DC JDM 4-1 - 2.5 in S2000 Cat - 2.5in piping - 2.75 in muffler
aem short ram

Future: skunk2 or edelbrock performer x manifold

I just want to make sure fueling won't be a problem. Also tuner thinks I have to straight pipe it but the s2k cat comes ready for in creased flow/horespower/revs from factory and I've seen dynos with people making 190whp with stock cats so I don't think I'm gonna, but I'd love to hear your feedback.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does this guys dyno test low? Sometimes they test low.
Like the guy who I want to get my tuned from, his dyno tests 11% low.

I think 190 is plausible for your set-up. Since you have the higher comp ITR pistons that will help you out. What is your compression?
Also, is that all your engine mods? Do you still have the GSR valvetrain?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
either 190 or 255 will do..255 if you plan on doing more down the line but 190 is plenty for an N/A set up and even some boost set up's
any plans for some injectors?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alright cool thanks 2slo. And Crash I have Skunk2 Tuner Valvesprings and Crower Chromoly retainers cuz I didn't want to do titanium. Also according to http://www.zealautowerks.com/bseries.html I should have about 11.04:1 static compression maybe a tiny bit higher from head resurface but not a useful amount more lol. And it was on a dynojet but I think he just tund the partial wot I guess you would say because he kept saying it was running to lean but it doesn't idle like s**t like it did when I first installed the cams, nor is there a flat spot between 2500-3000 rpm while I'm driving anymore anymore.

Guess I'll just slap in the fuel pump and go back and see if I can hit at least 175whp as it is then pick up a skunk2 mani and bore out my throttle body later. Might as well throw this shitty dyno graph in my build thread haha, learning experience after all

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah my buddy had a fully built B20V in his car, 258hp and the fuel pump wasn't strong enough so it detonated and melted a piston.

So I would highly recommend it. Your tuner was smart and didn't want to be liable.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I made over 280whp with a stock fuel pump (em1). Drove it 65K miles without replacing the pump on TOP of the original 180K it already had, and sold the car. It's still going strong apparently. I'm pretty sure it's not your pump that's leaning you out...

Last edited:

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm pretty sure he said he was still using the old d series fuel pump

emerican

Registered VIP
^ this he said he was so that would be the reason and its a good tuner that he wouldnt max it out protect him of course but also protects your motor.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't read all the way through. Just don't want people to underestimate the stock pump's power potential. It rarely needs to be replaced for any N/A project, or most low boost setups.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wouldn' think it'dt be a terrible idea to do if you're able to :what:

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wouldn' think it'dt be a terrible idea to do if you're able to :what:
i think its just like how people think they need to upgrade every single fuel upgrade you can when boosting a car such as the fuel rail, fpr, and the fuel pump
i built my motor with the stock rail and fpr when most shops were trying to make me buy there rails and fpr's..i rather spend money on useful things than parts that people just put on for looks most of the time..all depends on the tuner and his skill

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was thinking about it as a preventative measure.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i agree though, nothing wrong with having one installed :thumbup:

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i think its just like how people think they need to upgrade every single fuel upgrade you can when boosting a car such as the fuel rail, fpr, and the fuel pump
i built my motor with the stock rail and fpr when most shops were trying to make me buy there rails and fpr's..i rather spend money on useful things than parts that people just put on for looks most of the time..all depends on the tuner and his skill
:beer:

Zedicous

So had some dyno disappointment yesterday. Only made 163hp 122tq (that's like 10hp over a stock GSR) because the tuner didn't want to tune my car any higher without a better fuel pump. Said it was running way lean and I need to get a walbro and come back. I currently have a walbro 190lph in the garage that I totally forgot to install, but from what I've been reading most people use the 255lph, do you guys think that the 190 will be enough? From what I've found a stock GSR/ITR fuel pump flows at 131lhp where as my s***ty d series makes 70lph so I definitely knew I should upgrade just forgot I had it sitting in the box. Is a 190 suitable for my build though

GSR:
Skunk2 Stage 1 Cams
USDM Type R pistons
DC JDM 4-1 - 2.5 in S2000 Cat - 2.5in piping - 2.75 in muffler
aem short ram

Future: skunk2 or edelbrock performer x manifold

I just want to make sure fueling won't be a problem. Also tuner thinks I have to straight pipe it but the s2k cat comes ready for in creased flow/horespower/revs from factory and I've seen dynos with people making 190whp with stock cats so I don't think I'm gonna, but I'd love to hear your feedback.
190 is perfect, if you go boost you'll need the 255. But if you go 255 now you'll need a regulator to bump it down. I have ran a 190 for years now on my b16.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
190 is perfect, if you go boost you'll need the 255. But if you go 255 now you'll need a regulator to bump it down. I have ran a 190 for years now on my b16.
Don't all fuel rails have pressure regulators on them..?