dyno tune

mitchwbr

I just boosted my civic and i thought i knew somewhat of this whole tuning passage way but i guess im dead wrong. i was hoping to get a basemap and actually boost it for a bit not hard but boost it and i just called my tuner and he said its ordeal to set a dyno time before you boost it at all. is there any other options? i just dont have the five hundred right now and i thought i had heard peopple getting by on a basemap. im not trying to blow my motor up this far along but what am i misunderstanding here?

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can risk it all by not getting tuned.

Do you understand what happens when you "tune"?

You are introducing more air to the system, you need to put in the proper amount of fuel now. If you don't, you can find yourself having problems. That's an elementary way of explaining it.

mitchwbr

I understand what is happening yes i just thought a basemap was a good way of calibrating that extra fuel and air into a good guess of what the engine is going to operate at I mean all the basemap is is just that, a guess correct?

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
A base map still runs you the risk of messing something up.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
A good basemap at best will allow you to drive the car, and possibly smooth out any issues not related to fuel/ignition tuning.

I would recommend a good AFR gauge on any modified (to the point of needing tuned) vehicle so you know whats going on at any given time.

mitchwbr

ya and if i knew how to use crome i could even attempt to street tune it myself with a wideband. Thats one thing i really wanna get to know when messin around with hondas that could save ALOT of money is using crome and street tuning. but i was gonna do a wideband later down the road but it makes no difference if i dont know how to adjust it with tuning

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
basemaps are just a guess, every car is different slightly and it is a risk. is it worth the risk to you? running too rich or lean can damage an engine

also it can take a month or two to get into some tuners, it takes a lot of time and there are a lot of people who want a tune

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
a basemap is just that, a guess. yes it will get you by but boosting is not getting by its beating on your car, just get a basemap and keep out of the throttle. if you have to get on freeways try to take it slow because it will build boost easier on onramps, take out your wastegate spring if you must to keep from boosting.

if you dont have a basemap yet you can order one from xenocron tuning for like $15, they are good safe basemaps. i hit boost on mine just to make sure everything was in working order then i went and got tuned. my tuner charged $160 an hour and it only took on hour to get it tuned on the dyno, it doesnt get the best gas mileage though since i didnt get any street tuning done at the time

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Listen to TigBitties over here. Basemaps are guesses, and like bloodshot stated- they will at best allow you to drive your car and maybe smooth out a few bumps. It isn't worth the risk to have built something up just to take it down again...whether you are made of gold or not, that should be taken into consideration.

Also, yes. "street" tuning can save you a lot of money but at a cost. It is unsafe and would require many conditions. for example: 1)Two people, one to operate your ecu tuning program/flash and the other to drive the car. 2) a long, wide open, desolate place for long runs during the tuning process. 3) the person doing the tune on the program must be knowledgeable of how it is used efficiently and have a vast amount of understanding of the said combustion set up to get the motor to its safest max output.

Problems with these are: 1)Speed limits, whether you do this at 12 midnight or any where you have a speed limit to obey. Say you get caught and that's a ticket + under hood inspection (hopefully its a carb legal turbo)...And if you obey speed limit, you aren't truly tuning the ecu to its highest/safest output which means it would still be spotty. 2) if you want to do the tune you are going to have to do said research and learn how to use a brand new program, the risk? do a wrong map set up and you could ruin it. 3) if the other guy does it, you aren't really learning it are you? yeah you may save a buck but wasn't the whole point to learn a valuable asset? Sure he can teach you, but the risk remains as the previous said risk.

Do a Dyno tune, Here you can push it to the limits and get the best map set up. no worrying about speed limits or damaging (unless it is a crappy uncertified tuner...I agree that there are excellent uncertified tuners out there but that is you can find/trust one) Also, your tuner can explain everything he did during the tune and explain why. This is useful to you because if you want to eventually do a street tune, you have clear information on how the basics work. Also, nothing says that this guy wont reach out a hand to you and teach you how to tune it yourself....its all about the connections

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
ya and if i knew how to use crome i could even attempt to street tune it myself with a wideband. Thats one thing i really wanna get to know when messin around with hondas that could save ALOT of money is using crome and street tuning. but i was gonna do a wideband later down the road but it makes no difference if i dont know how to adjust it with tuning
It does make a difference, if you're driving the car and say your're getting onto the highway (mild acceleration/boost) and your car starts to lean out for no good reason you can at that moment save your engine. It's good insurance.

mitchwbr

So i can adjust the wideband while driving hmmm?? but only if im opened up with chrome on a laptop though correct? See this whole thing gets me cuz honestly at first i just wanted a boosted honda. Now i had so much fun learning all this stuff i just want to keep building lol. That really is the goal here do do as much as i can by myself so i can learn it and say that i did it not someone else. All of the turbo stuff i have been picking up the last year or so but I HAVE NEVER come across any good information on even just a start up guide or information on street tuning

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
So i can adjust the wideband while driving hmmm?? but only if im opened up with chrome on a laptop though correct? See this whole thing gets me cuz honestly at first i just wanted a boosted honda. Now i had so much fun learning all this stuff i just want to keep building lol. That really is the goal here do do as much as i can by myself so i can learn it and say that i did it not someone else. All of the turbo stuff i have been picking up the last year or so but I HAVE NEVER come across any good information on even just a start up guide or information on street tuning
A wideband is a gauge, like a boost gauge or oil pressure, it is to monitor something only. You don't adjust your AFRs with a wideband. That is done with whatever software you are using.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
You cant tune while you drive. A wide band is a gauge. The best you can do with "controlling" AFR and boost pressure is an romote controlled electronic bleeder that will allow you to change pressure -even this is unsafe and at best just another basemap to get you by but way better that running on uncontrolled boost that can "randomly" peak; you would also need to hook up that bleeder valve to another set up to see what exactly is happening ie another gauge to check the bleeder valve and engine conditions.

Listen to TigBitties over here. Basemaps are guesses, and like bloodshot stated- they will at best allow you to drive your car and maybe smooth out a few bumps. It isn't worth the risk to have built something up just to take it down again...whether you are made of gold or not, that should be taken into consideration.

Also, yes. "street" tuning can save you a lot of money but at a cost. It is unsafe and would require many conditions. for example: 1)Two people, one to operate your ecu tuning program/flash and the other to drive the car. 2) a long, wide open, desolate place for long runs during the tuning process. 3) the person doing the tune on the program must be knowledgeable of how it is used efficiently and have a vast amount of understanding of the said combustion set up to get the motor to its safest max output.

Problems with these are: 1)Speed limits, whether you do this at 12 midnight or any where you have a speed limit to obey. Say you get caught and that's a ticket + under hood inspection (hopefully its a carb legal turbo)...And if you obey speed limit, you aren't truly tuning the ecu to its highest/safest output which means it would still be spotty. 2) if you want to do the tune you are going to have to do said research and learn how to use a brand new program, the risk? do a wrong map set up and you could ruin it. 3) if the other guy does it, you aren't really learning it are you? yeah you may save a buck but wasn't the whole point to learn a valuable asset? Sure he can teach you, but the risk remains as the previous said risk.

Do a Dyno tune, Here you can push it to the limits and get the best map set up. no worrying about speed limits or damaging (unless it is a crappy uncertified tuner...I agree that there are excellent uncertified tuners out there but that is you can find/trust one) Also, your tuner can explain everything he did during the tune and explain why. This is useful to you because if you want to eventually do a street tune, you have clear information on how the basics work. Also, nothing says that this guy wont reach out a hand to you and teach you how to tune it yourself....its all about the connections
^^^

mitchwbr

So is this bleeder valve run off of vaccum?? might be somethin to think about im always open to new ideas but this still seems sketchy with no tune.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'll sum all of this up.

take it to a known respected tuner. or you will blow it up

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
I'll sum all of this up.

take it to a known respected tuner. or you will blow it up

^^^Again, Mitchwbr listen to what we are saying and take it to a tuner before you blow it up unless you don't mind buying another engine and starting you project all over again.

So is this bleeder valve run off of vaccum?? might be somethin to think about im always open to new ideas but this still seems sketchy with no tune.
:smackself: Mitchwbr. You need a tune and there isn't anyway around it, a bleeder valve can only help you keep boost pressure very low so that it doesn't spike/peak, resulting in you blowing up the engine, while on your way to a tuner or an emergency. I didn't recommend it as a fix or anything of the sort, I said that the only thing that has any type of toggle like what you were looking for is an electronic bleeder and at best it may provide help.

Now, if you are looking for another option, I suggest that you make a complete mod sheet with specs on everything. ie: take the civic to get weighed. What ever you changed (except for the obvious, things like the steering wheel), put it on the list. Things such as wheel/rim size if it isn't stock, which turbo is being used, supporting modifications for the turbo (like the intercooler size and specs etc). Any forged internals? that too. Any and all performance enhancing mods. After you are done, contact Mr/Dr Tweak (he is a known tuner) and explain to him what you need done. He will ask you to send your ecu (I recommend buying a separate ecu and sending that one instead of the one you have now. after the tune will be done, you would have another ecu. you can hook that up to any program you would like and start tuning at your own risk if you really want to), after he receives it he will tune it and send it back to you. From there he will give you further instructions on how to toggle and play around with it.

Now as far as Dr. tweak, I am unsure if he still tunes ecu's from afar, but he is worth a try. I am sure he still chips ecu's but at one point he was tuning them but there have been some talk here and there. Get in contact with him and see if he can. Otherwise you can try to do the same thing with another tuner or just take it to a dyno/tuning shop.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Tweak is he the same one doing xenocron or w/e
Not sure, whenever I contacted him I would do so directly through phone call. It has been a long while since I have contacted him since I do most of my own tuning . That's why I said I was unsure if he still does ecu tuning because the last time I ever called he mentioned he was going to try it for a while and see how it would go. He is the guy to go to on wire harnesses and other swap needs though. Ive never had a problem with him and know people that haven't either, some have been kind of loyal to him since 07 but I preferred to do my own work.